a new rug for the nursery

We made a small update in the nursery several months ago, but I just realized we never shared it here on the blog!

Anyhow, new rug!

The old rug was an off-white chevron rug from West Elm. There was a lot to love about it, but over time Bailey’s nails would snag the knotted design and it started looking pretty worn and dingy. I suppose I could have had it cleaned but decided to swap it out for something more functional instead.

100

It’s no secret that we have a special place in our hearts for Flor carpet tiles (we now have them in Kyle’s office, my office, our bedroom and our mudroom). I started my hunt for a new rug by looking at various single-piece area rugs but couldn’t find anything that was quite the right color, size or price. Plus, I didn’t like the idea of having to have it professionally cleaned in the event of a major spill or accident. So, back to Flor. Since this is a kid’s space we wanted something a bit playful but not too “busy” as it would be highly visible from the rest of our house. I’d seen a couple of examples in their catalog of custom designs using triangular tiles (cut along the diagonal from full squares) and thought this might have some potential. (I know, triangles! We’re crazy!)

We ordered several samples and ended up with the Made You Look line as it was a good balance between price, color options and texture. We sketched out a loose design (enough to order the right amount of tiles) and had Flor custom cut the colored tiles (totally worth the added $3/cut to get it precise) but didn’t decide on the final design till we put everything together. In theory, we could rearrange the tiles if we got bored with the current pattern, but so far so good.

photo (29)

Best of all, the surface is much more conducive to playing on so we feel like we instantly gained a new play space for Avery.

164

In our frenzy to finish the bedroom a few months ago, Kyle also made a valence for the smaller window in the nursery. (In the bedroom we used maple, but decided to stick with fir here.) It’s a small detail but hides the exposed hardware of the IKEA roller shade.

136

184

190

We’re about a month away (+/-) from welcoming baby #2 and since we’re expecting another girl there hasn’t been much that we need to do to prep for her arrival. I’ve been making space in both the wardrobe and dresser for itty bitty baby clothes and diapers but the overall look and layout of the room will stay as-is for now. We still have plans to eventually set-up a makeshift nursery in my office downstairs (which will involve moving the glider down there and setting up the mini-crib that we purchased awhile back) but aren’t in a hurry since the space will first be used as a guest room by visiting family (and baby will sleep in our room).

Small space multitasking for the win!

Comments

10 Responses to “a new rug for the nursery”

1. Laura C says:

Hi Lauren,
    I love the idea of the wooden valance over the roller shade – it looks great. Would you or Kyle mind sharing how you attached the valance to the wall without any hardware showing?
    Thanks!

2. Kyle Zerbey says:

Hi Laura,

On the short wood pieces on the sides we drilled pilot holes at a 45 degree angle, then screwed in on both sides with 4″ long wood screws. If you looked down at the top you would see the screw head on each side but you never see it from this angle:) -cheers -Kyle

3. Adriana says:

I have used flor quite a bit and love it as well. One tip, that you may already know about, is to buy about 1/2 dozen extra tiles. Yeah, you’re supposed to be able to pop them out and wash them, and yeah that kinda works, maybe the first time something happens. But…it’s sooo much easier just to swap out the stained one for a new one! Also, I learned the hard way that flor does change up their color palettes and just when you find yourself needing to replace one of your squares, they no longer make the color (or anything like it) In my now 18 year old daughter’s room I did a crazy quilt style, bought several extra tiles, but also knew that as long as flor was carrying greens, blues and whites we could just drop any old thing in there and it would look right at home. No more worries about discontinued colors and styles!

Thanks Adriana – we did order some extra tiles for the same reason (and because we too know that Flor styles don’t seem to stick around for a long time). Good idea to make it purposefully patchwork though! I had a co-worker who once tried to make a rug out of samples (back when they were free) but not sure she ever collected enough. 🙂

4. Adriana says:

i was going to submit a picture but couldn’t figure out a way to do it. sorry!

5. janet says:

Love your style, and this room is no exception. 🙂

6. Mallory says:

I came across this photo of the curtain on Pinterest as I am trying to figure out how I want to hang a room dividing curtain using the same ikea track. How is the curtain attached to the gliders? Some tips would be wonderful. Thanks!!

7. Alexandra says:

Hi! I love the style of this nursery and am thinking something similar, but grown-up-ified for a master bedroom! I was wondering what paint color you used? Thanks 🙂