summer day

Before Instagram, I used to do more random posts about what we were up to when we weren’t working on our house or Studio Zerbey projects. I thought about putting together something for Avery’s 2nd birthday (which was last week) but in all honesty I only took a handful of photos and half of them landed on Instagram so it seemed redundant to do a recap here. Unlike her first birthday, we kept it pretty low-key this year. We had a small party in our backyard with doughnuts and leftover party supplies from a year ago. (I’ve decided that 2nd birthdays are great because you don’t have the pressure of the big first birthday bash and yet they’re still too young to have any expectations of what their birthday or party should be.)

Although we’ve had a really beautiful Seattle summer so far, we haven’t done a lot of travelling or playing. Work-wise, this has been our busiest time since starting Studio Zerbey. We’re also scrambling to wrap up other projects and to-do items before baby #2 arrives next month(!). That said, we do try to take advantage of little opportunities here and there and sometimes we even embrace a little spontaneity. A quick trip to Shilshole beach last weekend turned into a three-hour adventure around our neighborhood and that’s kinda what summer is all about, right? I snapped a bunch of iPhone photos and thought instead of over-saturating my other feeds, I’d do a quick post here.

Happy summer, everyone!

IMG_0090

IMG_0092

I think Bailey is happiest at the beach (and the weird perspective in the photo makes him look gigantic!).

IMG_0098

I swear this kid could spot a strawberry plant from a mile away. We’re still working on “look, don’t touch” but at least she didn’t eat any. Oooh….stahbrees!

IMG_0100

We stopped at Skillet for brunch, which is in a mixed-use building that I worked on a bit at my previous firm. (I distinctly remember drawing those bent steel rods in CAD!) Now that it’s had time to establish, the landscaping looks really amazing. (Fun fact: the lead landscape architect for the job was Mark Garff, our friend who also did the landscape design for our house.)

IMG_0105

IMG_0108

This was the first time we’ve been when the doors were all opened up. Not a regular occurrence in Seattle, but dang it was nice! (Of course I had to get the castellated beam in the shot!)

IMG_0115

I’m usually underwhelmed by the options for kid’s meals, but Skillet did it right with this grilled PB&J and fruit (in a baby skillet no less!).

IMG_0119

I think Avery felt the same way. (I hear some kids are “neat” and don’t like to get “dirty”. Huh.)

IMG_0122

After brunch we were heading back to the car when we decided to stop at the park nearby for some post-PB&J spray-down. And what do you know – there was a piano just parked right there (it’s part of the Pianos in the Park campaign)! So Kyle and Avery tried it out and I couldn’t help but capture the moment. (Remember when we used to have a piano? But then we had to sell it to make way for the baby crib? Yeah, Kyle has not forgotten.)

IMG_0128

It took a few minutes to get used to the idea, but she was soon running through the water. Soaked and towel-less we decided to head home. I put Avery in some dry clothes and then she took the most glorious 4-hr nap.

Summer, let’s hold on for another month or so, ok?

Oh, I decided to make my Instagram feed private – it doesn’t affect you if you’re already a follower I just wanted to be a bit more selective about privacy. My username is laurenzerbey (one word) if you want to follow! Disclaimer: it’s mostly photos of Avery and Bailey.

Comments

14 Responses to “summer day”

1. Paul says:

Nice posting off the regular topics, like a little summer vacation!

2. katie says:

what a nice looking restaurant πŸ™‚ only one more month until #2?? i hope that you are doing well, it’s a good sign that you are still out and about!

Thanks Katie, technically next month but still 7 weeks (+/-) left. Definitely in that window of “plenty of time/NOT ENOUGH TIME!”. πŸ™‚

3. Paige says:

Lovely summer post and that is seriously the cutest kids meal ever. Skillet Ballard has become our go-to when we have large groups/out of town guests, because it’s gorgeous, there is a ton of seating, and everyone can find something to eat regardless of age/dietary preference/etc.

4. jen says:

a 4 hour nap??? Holy moly! Is that how long she usually naps? My daughter (14 months) is around 2.5 hours in the afternoon and it’s glorious. πŸ™‚
    I can’t believe Avery is already TWO!

Haha, no – 4 hours is unusual! She usually naps 2.5-3 hours. When the days started getting longer we bumped back her bedtime and she compensated in her afternoon nap. Wish I would have known that would happen as it’s way better for our work schedules!

5. Marlena says:

Aw, happy birthday, Avery! What a lovely summer day it looks like!

6. Brandon says:

I love the bent-steel fence. Can you share any more details about it? It looks like the rods are set in concrete.

Thanks!

7. John says:

This summer around here HAS been beautiful (and hot), hasn’t it?

Can’t believe it’s almost over though.

8. Jessie BC says:

I’ve been following your blog for about 6 years now, I think, but this is the first time I’ve commented. I just wanted to say its fun to see you eating at skillet, since I cooked there up until a couple months ago! I never expected to see my old workplace highlighted on one of my favorite home blogs πŸ™‚ especially since I didn’t even live in Washington state when I started reading chezerbey! I always loved the landscaping there and it’s so fun to know that you guys are connected to it.

Next time you’re looking for a nice spot to eat in Ballard, come by my current workplace, Stoneburner. It’s got nice outdoor seating you can bring Bailey to, and the windows all open up along Ballard Ave. It’s a gorgeously designed space with a lot of salvaged architectural details. If you come during the day Friday-Tuesday, I’ll probably be standing in the middle of the dining room making fresh pasta, which a lot of kids really seem to enjoy watching. At night it’s a fantastic date spot too.

I’m just so tickled by this fun coincidence! I’m gonna be grinning all night. Thanks for still surprising and entertaining me after 6 years of reading.

9. LauraC says:

Thanks for sharing here on the blog, not just IG. I’m still an old fashioned hold out and don’t do IG. Actually, their whole, “We own your photos,” (and consequent change around) completely turned me off, and since I’m not a blogger, don’t see the point. Avery is so big!! And she has hair! πŸ˜‰ Super cute, two is a great age. I love the picture of her on Kyle’s shoulders, and the eating one, well, let’s just say it’s impressive, ‘K? πŸ™‚