sunset magazine

I started reading Sunset several years ago, usually during my lunch break at work. With its focus on the western U.S., each issue left me thinking I want to try that / I want to eat that / I want to go there! Now, I don’t usually gravitate towards “lifestyle” magazines, but for me this one has always been different, covering topics that I found both interesting and attainable. Since moving to the Pacific Northwest ten years ago, we’ve had several moments (usually in a beautiful setting, hanging out with friends and eating delicious food) where I had to pause and take-in the life that we’ve made for ourselves out here. Maybe it’s cheesy, but for me reading Sunset is like a little reminder to do more of that, to appreciate what’s right around us while also seeking out new adventures. And sometimes, it’s a chance to live vicariously through others while you’re spending weekends at the hardware store.

sunset

So, you can imagine our excitement when Kyle and I learned that they wanted to feature our home (and specifically, kitchen) in an upcoming issue! It was also just the motivation we needed to wrap up some projects around the house (like ahem, our bedroom).

It definitely didn’t all happen overnight, but before we knew it a small crew showed up bright and early to shoot our house. Although it can be nerve-wracking to have your own home photographed by a big-time magazine, it ended up being such a fun day and everyone was really great to work with. It was also fascinating to look behind the lens of a professional (in our case, Sunset photographer Tom Story) and see how the same angles I’ve shot so many times could look 10x better when done by a pro. By the end of the day, we were exhausted (though I’m not sure why seeing as how we mostly let other people do all the work) and spent awhile just hanging out in the backyard, soaking it all up and having our own we live here! we did this! moment. Eight years (and counting!) of remodeling is a loooong time, but days like that make us really glad we did it.

To see more, look for us in the August issue (in print or the tablet version) or checkout an online slideshow here!

And finally, a big thanks to Jess Chamberlain and the Sunset crew for making it happen!

Comments

24 Responses to “sunset magazine”

1. Shannon says:

It was a fun surprise while getting my nails done a few days ago! Great article!

2. wendy says:

i just got my copy in the mail yesterday and haven’t read it yet, but i’m sure i’d have squealed to see y’all in there! congrats!!

3. Sarah H says:

Congratulations Kyle and Lauren! Always impressive, but also well-deserved acknowledgement of all of your hard work. πŸ™‚

4. Paul says:

Congratulations, nice to see your place through another camera lens.

5. Marlena says:

Congratulations!

6. jen says:

that’s so fantastic! loads of hard work and vision got you guys there, congratulations!

7. Danielle says:

Wowie! Congrats – the house looks beautiful! Altho, to be fair, it looks just as awesome on your blog!

8. John says:

Nice! I really like how you have done your small home, taking it from a tiny 1 bedroom to a nice 2 bedroom space through a re-utilization of the entire space, opening up rooms where needed to do so.

I like how you moved the front door onto the old porch so it now does not open directly into the living room. I agree, that can be rather awkward.

Overall, love the aesthetics of your place, and great ideas I may have to borrow for my place when I find a suitable place to buy.

A native of this area, and am very familiar with Sunset Magazine, and would love to see it redevote it to interior design, NW/West coast style than where to go, what to do kinds of articles they do these days.

9. LauraC says:

Congrats! You totally deserve it.

10. Dana says:

That’s so awesome! Congrats on the well-deserved feature. I bet it feels gooooood. And you should take it all in. What a great place to live!

P.S. – Avery stole the show with that kitchen shot πŸ˜‰

Haha, I know! It’s like she grabbed the carrot and then turned and posed for the camera, knowing *exactly* what she was doing. πŸ™‚

11. Jill says:

No mention of the basement?

No, they decided not to include that since it’s only partially finished (and really, when we first started talking to them the basement wasn’t finished at all!).

12. troy. says:

Very cool — happy for you guys!

13. katie says:

How exciting. I’ll have to pick up a copy. Your kitchen has been an inspiring for remodeling ours (hopefully soon) in West Seattle.

14. Ron says:

congratulations and kudos

15. Angela says:

So I bought the magazine because I’m a magazine junkie, but also because I thought the photo on the next page was a photo of Bailey since you can see a part of a dog. Then I buy it and find out it’s an advertisement for dog food and they didn’t even have the common sense to ask Bailey to be their model!

16. marie says:

how wide is your kitchen sink?