master bedroom redo: wall color options

Yesterday, I painted swatches of the four bluish-gray colors we’re considering for the bedroom walls.

bedroom_paintcolors

(They are, from left to right: “silver streak”, “eclipse”, “smoke gray” and “ashland slate”. All Benjamin Moore.)

Drastic differences, huh? Kyle and I laughed at the idea of a serious blog post about what color we should choose (though it’s not as comical as our choices for Avery’s nursery!), especially given that colors can vary from monitor to monitor. But, if you do have an opinion feel free to weigh in! (At this point, we don’t have a clear favorite.) Back in 2008 we painted the room white because it only has one window (north-facing) and tends to feel darker than the rest of the house. However, after living with it for a few years we’ve decided to embrace the lack of light and go more cave-mode. We love how cozy Avery’s room feels, but decided to lighten things up a bit for this space.

We’re going to give it a few days before we make a decision, but anything will be an improvement over the yellow-tinged white paint that’s there now. (Lesson learned, never buy off-the-shelf “white” paint.) Slowly but surely we’re chipping away at this room. Maybe a post-Thanksgiving bedroom charrette? What could be better!?

(Painting these swatches reminded us of our first go-around with picking colors for this room. Yikes, our house was scary.)

Comments

24 Responses to “master bedroom redo: wall color options”

1. Mar says:

Thank you for the new word. I look forward to your master bedroom charrette post! And, I prefer silver streak.

2. Jana says:

Hello!
    I think that the darker the better, it will make the board pop! I must say thought I would just paint that wall. Having a half half with an accent dark wall but keeping the rest white for the lack of light. BTW I love your kitchen! =D

3. Leo says:

We painted our dining room a similar BM grey, Trout Gray, and love it. It came out a bit more blue/purpley than anticipated, but we like that anyways.

And I like Ashland Slate, it’s the closest to Trout Gray, haha.

4. Nicole S. says:

I’m such a fan of dark bedrooms! I don’t think you can go wrong with any of these, but I like smoke grey best on my screen.

5. Jenny H. says:

We have Ashland Slate in our master bedroom and LOVE it! It definitely gives that sleep cave feel.

6. Jessica says:

I think my favorite is Ashland Slate. The first one looks purple to me, and I like the next two about equally.

7. Paige says:

I think I like Smoke Gray the best, but mostly I’m just jealous that those colors actually showed up as gray on your wall.

8. Chelsea says:

I definitely am loving the darker shades, so i’m going to have to say “ashland late”. Goodluck deciding, i’m sure it will look great no matter what!

9. Smoke grey for walls and Ashland for ceilings . My first bedroom as an adult was what you are calling Smoke Grey and I called Battleship Grey…I loved it because I could change sheets and lamp covers and everything would work. It was comforting yet very chic. My duvet cover was grey pin striped flannel , pillow
    Shams white lace , I thought was very elegant and not too girly. I also had one window and it faced North

10. Melissa says:

I love ashland slate! I think I might need it in my bedroom now!

11. anne b. says:

I like eclipse or ashland slate the best, they seem to be the warmest colours – at least, that’s how they show up on my screen πŸ™‚

12. tami says:

when in doubt, go with the prettiest name. i personally would choose the silver one just because of that, since they are all so lovely to look at

13. Peggy in Canada says:

LOVE the Ashland Slate β€” if you are going this route, I think the darker colour is more dramatic. Plus, it makes it feel more “cave-like” which should induce sleep. Cannot wait to see the final product.

14. Mariane says:

Eclipse! We have deep space at home and really love it, it might be too dark for what you are looking for though! Anyway, can’t wait for the big reveal! Have fun doing it!

15. LouiseD says:

My favorite would be AShland Slate ! I think this darker color would accentuate the sleeping crate felling…

16. Maria says:

grey on far right. perfect. cave-like. very similar to the color on our bedroom walls. LOVE IT. we do have a lot more light/windows in our room, but i adore a dark and cozy bedroom. it is meant for sleep and other dark activities, yes? πŸ˜‰ haha.

17. Becky says:

My monitor barely distinguishes these colors, so I’ll just put in a general vote for the warmest of the four. I tend to like cool colors best, but I think darker greys (not least of all in bedrooms) are best in warm tones.

18. Louise says:

Ashland slate all the way

19. Ashland slate is a best option. Go with it….

20. Nicola says:

Ashland Slate! Best one πŸ™‚

21. hollyloo says:

adding a 5th to the mix: BM’s Flint is beautiful!!

22. Jenny B says:

Hi there, i just stumbled on this during some research on both ashland slate and baby seal black and realized i’m in love with your wood head board. Where is is from? πŸ™‚