blogiversary!

Yep, the ol’ blog (or at least the WordPress version) turns four today! Although it feels like the house projects have slowed down, it was still a busy year – we had a baby, started our own firm, had the blog redesigned and the backyard transformed! It was a year of new beginnings and we’re still riding that wave.

Goals for this next year? We’re going to finish the basement bathroom and laundry room (we’ve renewed our building permit an embarrassing number of times), redo the bedroom (for reals!) and maybe, maaaybeee get going on the garage remodel. In addition to posts about house projects, we’ll also be sharing more of our Studio Zerbey projects and brainstorming ways to grow chezerbey beyond its humble house blog roots. (In fact, I’m going to the Alt Summit conference in January for the first time!)

On a related note, I’ve been meaning to take new photos of the house – the ones on our house tour and Studio Zerbey site still show the nursery as a flex room! So, a few days ago when the house was clean and the light was decent I snapped these:

IMG_8834

We’ve added a few accessories to the space this year, but looking at these photos it’s still a bit too minimal for me. Granted, there is typically more clutter but I’d like to fill our home with more personal items. (Like y’know, actually printing and framing some of the family photos we took last Spring!)

IMG_8708

IMG_8809

The pouf is new! It’s from West Elm and I love it. Avery loves it too – as a step stool to reach taller and more dangerous things!

IMG_8726

IMG_8843

IMG_8733

Cone of Shame photo bomb! (He had a sore on his tail, but it’s healing up.) Also, the runner is new-ish. We replaced the IKEA one (which was curling up on the ends) with this sisal runner from Crate&Barrel. We originally purchased a Chilewich runner but it was smaller and really showed how much the cork has faded at the back door so we returned it and bought the C&B one.

IMG_8738

The poor fauxdenza – so useful and yet so hard to style. Avery is tall enough to swipe things close to the edge so we keep it mostly cleared off (when it’s not serving as a whole house catchall that is).

IMG_8741

IMG_8745

This will be its own blog post, but I think we’re going to replace the fridge soon. Now that we’re a family of three and eating at home a lot more, it’s just a little too small. Good thing Kyle designed in a contingency (aka “I told you so”) plan when he built those custom fir panels. πŸ™‚

IMG_8813

An architect friend of ours did this sketch of Bailey and every morning Avery points to it and smiles. (Thanks Margo!)

IMG_8759

IMG_8778

We’ve made zero progress on the bedroom. There are lots of ideas but it’s been back-burnered for the time being. I think it will be one of those projects that needs to be fully designed and materials purchased and then we just spend a weekend powering through. We’re also still debating whether to do custom doors and drawer fronts over the existing IKEA PAX wardrobe or a more custom curtain. Both are expensive and have their own pros and cons.

IMG_8760

IMG_8765

IMG_8783

Finally, a big thank you to everyone who has supported us (with a comment or a crow bar) along this journey. This little corner of the internet is one of the best parts of my day and I’m thankful it exists. Cheers!

Check out our blogiversary posts from 2012, 2011 and 2010!

Comments

33 Responses to “blogiversary!”

1. Ariane says:

Happy blogsday ! I love your house and the fact that it doesn’t look like most of the houses you see on blogs ! Keep up with the good work πŸ™‚

2. The house looks beautiful. Congratulations to Chezerbey for turning four!

3. I absolutely love your house, especially the colour palette!
    And I dream of having an office like Kyle’s – love atticks!
    There’s only one thing I would change: The sofa! I’de turn it towards the window and tv!

Hope you’ll be around for at least another 4 years!

Love, Ana

4. Marlena says:

Happy Blogiversary!

5. heather says:

Happy Blogiversary from a very devoted fan. Cheers!

6. Chris says:

Amen to some wood trim! Another certain (very popular) blog with a new house is painting all their wood trim. Ours had already been painted so keeping it wasn’t an option, but at least we still have the original mid-century wood bedroom doors! πŸ˜‰

7. Emily says:

Congrats on your Anniversary! LOVE your house so much and am loving the Studio Zerbey updates. Can’t wait to hear how working with Method Homes goes. I’m obessed with their designs and would love to do one of my own. Can’t wait to see what you gus work on next in your home too!

On a strange note, I’m also in Seattle and have been thinking of buying the same fridge you have since I saw yours. Do you have plans for it when you upgrade to a larger size? If not, I’m very interested in purchasing it from you. Yes, really. πŸ™‚

8. Debi says:

Lauren love your pictures. I only wish my place looked as organized and clean. My kids are grown but I do have a dog and 2 cats. Is that a good excuse? lol. Anyways, I really got a chuckle with Bailey’s picture. What a face. So cute. And did you notice the reflection on the cabinet front? For a minute, I thought you had two dogs!

9. June says:

I came across your blog right about the time that Avery was born. As a faithful reader but never before a commenter, this is a good time to say a few things.
    1. Congratulations! Your baby is so precious and beautiful. Seeing her picture brings a smile to my face.
    2. Thank you! Once I got caught up in your renovation story, I had to go back into the archives and read it all from the beginning. Not only was it fascinating to see the transformation of your home, it has inspired me to persevere on my own projects. Yes, there are days when you want to cry at what you have bitten off, but when it’s done it is amazing! Thanks for helping me get to the amazing part.
    3. You guys are so talented! I was never a fan of modern before. Through reading the blog, I have developed an appreciation for the cleanness (is that a word?) and simplicity of the look. I’m becoming a fan.
    Once again, thanks! Looking forward to reading about upcoming projects.

10. Sally says:

Thank you and Happy Anniversary!

11. Monica says:

Happy Blogiversary! What a year you have had. Wishing you another great one.

12. andee says:

Happy Blogiversary indeed! I just love your house. It is so beautiful without being anything more than you need – it’s such an inspiration.

13. Dusa says:

I think Bailey was not only photo-bombing, but putting in a shameless plug for sympathy. And I was just wondering the other day about “the bedroom project”, but thought maybe you were planning it as more of an indoor/fall undertaking.

14. Katia says:

Happy anniversary Lauren! What a year of changes, indeed. It’s funny how easy it is to put your own bedroom on the back burner, isn’t it? I wonder if you ever thought of swapping bedrooms with Avery. Hers seems much bigger!
    May I ask about the watercolour in the photo with the sketch of Bailey? It’s lovely.

Thanks Katia, the bedrooms are both approximately the same size – I think hers just seems bigger because it doesn’t have a full wardrobe on one wall or a giant bed. πŸ™‚ The watercolor was a wedding gift from one of our architecture professors. I really should get a proper frame for it – now that we’ve been married nearly 8 years!

15. Ofelia, from Mexico City says:

Congratulations and happy blogiversary. I have been reading your blog before Avery was born. But today is a special day and I just wanna say that I love your style: pretty clean and modern. I even got a C table inspired at yours. I really love your baby girl. She remind me my first niece, so gorgeus and happy. And I love your dog, Bailey looks so friendly with your little girl. Finally, I can’t wait to see the basement upgrades and the future projects. Greetings from Mexico!

16. Mariane says:

Happy Blogiversary! Phew what a year, kids changes everything, in the best ways mostly, maybe sleep on morning weekend would be good! I always wonder how you do so far from your family, our family has been so usefull to take our kids while we power through major projects on weekends. I love your house and your whit, it is always so fun to read you!

Thanks Mariane, we definitely wish we were closer to family sometimes. It does make it harder to get stuff done so we mostly do things while she’s asleep. πŸ™‚

17. Dana says:

Happy blogiversary!

I have enjoyed following every second of your renovations, family adventures and Studio Zerbey projects. I absolutely love your home and the thoughtful personal touches and am always inspired when I click over. Can’t wait for Alt!

18. I always enjoy your blog and seeing all the changes you make to your home. I have to ask how do you keep Avery from falling down the cellar stairs? And surely she’s attempting to climb to the loft?

Hi Stephanie – we have a baby gate at the top of the stairs to the basement. As for the loft ladder, she actually isn’t trying to climb it (yet!). We know we’ll need to do something eventually but are still trying to come up with a solution we like.

19. Shauna says:

Great blog, from my home city to boot. Keep it up. I love your work and how you balance the work-family-blog triangle.

20. Deborah says:

Congratulations! I enjoy your blog and how you integrate your family and professional life into your entries. Your ideas inspire me to try out things. Isn’t it great that we can always return things….that’s why it’s so helpful to hear about local stores. Hope year five is a banner one!

21. Aubrey says:

I love the spotted pouf! Nice twist against the dark sofa.

Are those filled with foam, or are they more of a like a square bean bag? Here in the Philippines, where I’m from, they’re a good footrest compared to the conventional ones because we tend to be shorter people.