video / home diaries

Earlier this year, Kyle and I were contacted by a production company (teamed up with HGTV Networks) about filming chezerbey for a new webisode series called Home Diaries – a show about different homes and the stories behind them.

We liked the concept and signed on…then promptly scrambled to finish up some projects around the house! A month later a production crew from Knoxville flew out and spent a full day filming our home and interviewing us (it’s amazing how much work goes into something like this…and is everyone from TN just super nice and cool?). Bailey went nuts not only because there were a dozen new people to meet, but also because all the camera gear had tennis balls attached to the legs (to protect the floors). It was a fun and crazy day and we also owe a big thank you to our friend Robynn for hanging out in our basement and watching Avery.

baileytennisballs

The webisodes are part of a new website called ulive and were just released last week. Since then, Kyle and I have watched it a few times…ok, enough times to over analyze ourselves (yes, this was our first remodel as homeowners but not as architects!)(…and even though we opted out of grad school we still have a combined 10 years of architecture school under our belts!). Ok, just had to get that out there.

To see our segment, click on the image link below… [Update: if you’re outside the U.S., reader JC uploaded the video here!]

ulive_webisode

Eek, it’s so crazy to see yourself on video (is that how I really sound?) but we love the way it turned out and the “feel good” aspect of all the homes featured in the series.

Comments

40 Responses to “video / home diaries”

1. Kirk says:

Wow! Longtime reader, first time commenting. Looks like that clip perfectly summed up the experience! Also, it was soooo cool to hear your voices after reading so many posts!

2. Dawn says:

Wow – what fun! Gee… what a little blogging can do – congrats!!

3. Gaidig says:

Yeah, they did kind of make it sound like you were self-taught by renovating your house. Still, congrats for being featured by HGTV.

4. Isabelle says:

Soooooooooooo sad the video is only available for viewers in the US ;-((((

But congratulations anyway. πŸ˜‰

• katja says:

I just cklicked the image only to find out I cannot watch it. umpf. Only available to viewers in the United States.
      But sounds like a great experience for you and Bailey too.

Oh no, we had no idea it was only viewable in the US! (I tried to embed the video in the post, but no luck.) Well, it’s a brand new site so maybe they’ll eventually open it up to other countries…seems silly not to!

• Kyle Zerbey says:

HI Isablee,

from JC below

5. Sharmila says:

Can’t watch video either :0(. But congrats on getting so many cool opportunities!

6. lindsay says:

great video – it was fun to hear all the positive stuff at the end after talking about the struggles of living through the renovation. also, the inspiration behind the aqua door color was so cute and sweet!

7. Paul says:

Congratulations, a nice opportunity for exposing your great project to a wider audience! I agree, the video made you seem a little more amateur than you obviously are, perhaps they want to encourage other DIYers.

8. mariane says:

Boooh, I can’t watch it but happy for you guys!

9. Congratulations!! That is super cool!! You guys were totally naturals.

10. hjc says:

How very cool! You guys did a great job just being yourselves (as if I know you) – just very relaxed and natural. Congratulations!

11. jc says:

Congratulations Zerbeys.

Been a fan since the PSE challenge. I’ve uploaded the clip for those outside of the US. Let me know if you guys want me to remove it.

12. Helen says:

I think you guys sounded and looked great on camera. It was nice to see the house in video, rather than just individual pictures. Good job!

13. Louise says:

Oho, so that’s what you guys sound like – it’s interesting to compare a blogger’s actual voice with the internal voice I use to read your posts πŸ˜›

House looks amazing as usual – congrats on the video!

14. katie says:

great video! and a nice recap of all that you’ve done. probably a good decision to skip grad school and buy the house – i did both and i have a feeling i’ll be paying for both for a very long time…

bailey + the tennis balls is funny, that looks like something that murphy would do.

Yeah, I think it really depends on what you want to do within the profession. We definitely learned a TON remodeling our house so I think it made sense for us since we primarily do residential work.

15. Candece says:

Great job!

16. Such a great feature! How awesome is it that you have this video to document your home’s story?! Just lovely…you guys too, of course. And Avery is a doll.

CONGRATS!

17. So, so, SO inspiring. Truly. My husband and I just bought our first major fixer upper in our favorite Chicago neighborhood. I can’t wait to show him this video; it’s the little boost we need that we can do it!

18. Nancy Smith says:

Fantastic video. Love your home and taste. Everyone should be living in smaller spaces. Enjoy your blog. Nancy, Ottawa, ON Canada

19. Genevieve says:

Great video! Love your house, love your blog. You inspire me!!
    Genevieve from Canada

20. Ohhh, what a pity, Lauren, I can’t watch the video. Apparently it’s not available outside of the US.
    Is there some other way I can watch it?
    πŸ™‚
    Love form Portugal!

21. Kari says:

Fun video, guys! You both look great. I am sure that it is very hard to capture all of the work that the two have you have done over the years in two and a half minutes!

I’m so glad that your blog exists so that I can spend time ooohing and aaaahing over the floor plan and fixtures – that video is great but it’s so whizz-bang it’s hard to soak it all in! Too much loveliness to see properly.

Also wonderful to see little Avery and of course, BAILEY! πŸ™‚ Congrats!

p.s. (You both sound great! I don’t detect an accent at all???)