backyard furniture

Work has been crazy lately so we decided to take a break and give ourselves a Sunday Funday. Turns out, a Zerbey Funday includes watching a little Arrested Development and going outdoor furniture shopping.

With our focus on the backyard this summer, we thought it might be time for a furniture upgrade. Our current table and chairs were purchased from IKEA five years ago. They’ve served us well but we didn’t take great care of them, leaving them out during the rainy season more than once (oops). The wood (acacia) is now dull and splintered and although it would be possible to sand and refinish, it would be a lot of work. We’ve also been wanting a larger table, one that can seat 6-8.

montague-dining-table

So, we bought this table from Crate&Barrel. (Thanks to a Memorial Day sale and our trade discount, we saved a good bit of money too.) It’s a dark gray powder-coated aluminum and seems very well made and durable. We plan on owning it for a long time. (We also bought a cover!)

As for dining chairs, we’re stumped. Ideally, we’d like something that is inexpensive and stackable. We’ve also talked about doing a bench on one or both of the long sides. Although we generally like to stick to neutral colors on big pieces, this could be an opportunity for some color.

Below, a collection of options:

outdoorchairs

1. IKEA Roxo chair, $20. I like the color and the price. I don’t know how comfortable it would be but our local IKEA is out of stock anyway and since it’s a seasonal item they likely won’t get any more. (Note to self: buy Christmas stuff in October and summer stuff in March.)

2. Room&Board Aruba chair, $119.00. We tested this one out in person and it’s fairly comfortable. It’s just not that fun and also more than we’d like to spend if we’re talking about getting multiples.

3. IKEA Reidar chair, $49.99. I’d actually be ok with this chair, but I’m not sure Kyle’s on board. (Does anyone have this chair? Is it comfortable enough?)

4. CB2 Lucinda chair, $69.95. I like this one too but we don’t have a CB2 store in Seattle so I’m hesitant to buy without trying it out first.

I feel like Kyle and I have scoured the interwebs, but maybe there’s another option we’re missing? I think we’d be ok with buying 4 chairs in conjunction with buying (building?) a bench or two. Our stopgap solution for the interim might be just to use our existing four chairs. Boring.

So, although we were not successful in purchasing new dining chairs, we did find some of the lounging style…

vista-adirondack-chair

vista-adirondack-chair2

Adirondacks have been on our list for years. For a while Kyle wanted to design and build our own modern versions, but we found these FSC-certified teak chairs at Crate&Barrel and decided to just go for it. We actually started our Sunday Funday going to DWR and Room&Board, thinking we’d choose the no-maintenance adirondacks from Loll. Surprisingly though, they weren’t nearly as comfortable as the C&B ones.

Happy with our purchases, we decided to head home. But on our way back to the car I spied mini Adirondacks in front of Pottery Barn Kids. Moments later, this happened:

883330b2c64d11e28b6c22000a1f8db8_7

(Kyle bought her the new shades about 10 minutes earlier.) I voted for the white chair but Kyle insisted on pink. Plus the matching umbrella. (Also pink.) Then Avery started clapping and I caved. Not only were they on sale but I also got to finally use the Pottery Barn gift card that we received as a wedding gift nearly 8 years ago!

FUNDAY WIN FOR EVERYONE!

This weekend Kyle and our neighbor are building a new fence and landscaping is slated to start next week. Summmmmatimmmme!

Comments

26 Responses to “backyard furniture”

1. Leo says:

OMFG. YES.

I saw those exact same pieces at crate & barrel this weekend and loooooved both of them. Those teak chairs are the very first Adirondack chairs that i’ve seen that I actually like—that is, decent wood and not all clichéd—did you buy the matching footrests or no?
    And that table…damn. I decided I couldn’t justify the $750 price tag, even with 15% off, especially for an outdoor table that will get used 1/2 of the year here, and also because i built our concrete dining table for ~$250.

But anyway at least I can admire them on your patio now…

well done.

Thanks Leo, yeah…we went all in and got the footrests too. I know what you mean about the table though…that’s one thing that would be fairly easy to DIY but I think we know that we just don’t realistically have the time to build one (not for this summer at least). Kinda like how we’ve been talking for years about building our own Adirondacks… 🙂

2. Anna says:

We have the Reidar chairs and are very happy with them. They’re pretty comfy and I love the colours – we have the red/orange and blue ones 🙂 They live on our deck too, with our outdoor furniture!

3. We have the Roxo chairs from Ikea and although they’re pretty comfortable, they got rusty after a few months and we had to get them exchanged. We live in a humid and rainy climate (kind of like the PNW, actually) and they told this could happen again… very annoying. Thankfully we bought them for $5 each so it wasn’t too bad, but still. It says no maintenance on the description!!

4. Isabelle says:

Hi Lauren, the table is BEAUTIFUL and the throne for Princess Avery as well :).
    The Ikea chairs are comfy, but made in China :(. If you are into this style have a look at FERMOB furnitures …. that is the original from which Ikea stole the design. They are pricey but excellent quality. Hope you have a nice summer.

5. Ron says:

the table is nice but I think it looks a lot like this table:

I think Kyle missed a great welding opportunity. 😉

• Kyle Zerbey says:

I hear ya Ron. that is a striking resemblance! So busy with our new architecture firm that haven’t had time for many side projects. I am building a fence this weekend with my neighbor though 🙂 And plans to build a new dining room table soon.

6. Kristyl says:

So cute……but please – those headbands – so goofy and really 80s – she’s way too sweet for them

7. Kristin says:

Oh, that last picture is too much. I was never a big headband lover, but she looks really good in them. My girls had lots of hair, so I just clipped those big bows right in!

What about Acapulco chairs – several companies have some rift on them going. I have no idea how comfortable they are, but they seem to be a great way to add some color to outdoor seating.

We scored 4 Bertoia wire side chairs years ago and I still love them. They are black, so no color, and it doesn’t feel right to spray paint them (duh) but I’d still like a little more color outside.

I think DWR had Navy Side Chairs in different colors, made out of plastic bottles. They are probably more than you want to spend though. Still, I think those are pretty comfortable chairs, and wouldn’t get as hot as the metal version.

• Kristin says:

Yeah, I got curious and looked them up.

$270 a pop, so not cheap. But very cool.

Thanks Kristin, I know…it’s so funny because I never thought I’d do headbands either but since her hair is so light I joke that it’s her “I’m a girl” disclaimer. (I also bought the variety pack from Amazon so there really is one for every outfit.) She is also the rare kid that doesn’t seem to mind wearing them. 🙂

I like the Acapulco chairs too but we’re looking for more dining-ish options that can store easily but be pulled out if we have a bunch of people over for dinner. I even looked at a few folding outdoor chair options but those seem to be even less comfy. I love the Bertoias and would definitely jump on that if we could find them for the right price.

8. Jeanne says:

Absolutely love your blog and style! We’re located in the Seattle area as well and are starting a major reno on a midcentury home on the eastside. For weeks, I have been obsessed with your previous patio furniture and always wondered where it came from. Now that you’ve replaced it, would you be interested in selling your old set? I’m happy to take on the refinishing project if you’re interested in parting with it.

Thanks!

Hi Jeanne, we actually just promised them to some friends yesterday. Actually, we might end up holding on to the chairs if we can’t find replacements but if either or those options don’t work out I’ll let you know. 🙂

9. Valerie says:

What about the Marais side chairs from Industry West – lots of colours to choose from but they are a bit expensive…

10. Katia says:

Hi Lauren,
    I have (had) the Reidar chairs as well, but had to get rid of them. They are comfortable all right, but I seriously couldn’t sit on them without a chair pad — they were cooooold! (we used them inside, in the kitchen.) Also, I couldn’t sit my toddler in one of them without worrying that there’s no support for her back (and that she’d somehow manage to fall out!). And lastly, they made tons of noise when moved (both on the floor and banging against each other) – also not great with napping kids around! I considered the Urban chair from Ikea as an alternative (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80067789/), seems to answer all of my concerns, except for the falling through part. They look great outside though, don’t they – http://makingitlovely.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/4594087280_a093f4e1a8_z.jpg

On the other hand, the Reidar also look great, are made well, are weighty and sturdy.

Thanks Katia, I didn’t even *think* about Avery falling through the back! We went ahead an ordered one of the CB2 chairs to see if we like it. We’ll see!

11. Kelly says:

Those are all good options. My favorite is the CB2. If you have chairs that work for now, why not just keep an eye on craigslist and see what turns up? I ended up scoring 5 vintage Bertoia chairs for $650 that I use on my deck, those deals do come up from time to time. I also keep a stash of the stackable LAVER chairs from Ikea – 9.99 each! – stored in the garage for parties and larger gatherings. They’re really comfortable and look good in a group.

12. Kate says:

Love those Adirondacks! isn’t it funny how once you have a girl, pink seems totally the perfect fit… (I swore I would never dress my Mabel in pink, but now it’s a colour she wears most days) Avery rocks pink and the headbands!

13. Lauren M says:

We also have an outdoor set we’ve neglected. I’m glad we’re not the only ones. I like all these chairs. The Lucinda has great lines and looks easy to clean. The Aruba is lovely, but it looks like it would be a pain to clean. Have you picked yet?

14. Reagan says:

I MISS THIS KIDDO SO MUCH! 🙂 Hope you guys are having a great summer so far! I miss Avery so much. 🙂 Looking forward to the FALL!

-Reagan