front yard landscaping: one year later

It’s been nearly a year since our front yard project was completed. For the most part, it’s thrived (we did lose a few of the red flowering currants) but I had no idea just how much until I went back and looked at that reveal blog post.

For example, last year…

IMG_3748

…and this year!

IMG_7529

I’m still a little in awe that the plants are alive and doing so well (but that’s why we left the job to the pros, right?). We were elated with how it looked a year ago but it’s so much better now. I especially can’t get over the lavender in the planting strip. (The planting strip that was, y’know…paved in concrete when we bought the house.)

Ok, let’s do a few more…

IMG_3749

IMG_7531

It’s growing, it’s growing! (By the way, we purchased and planted the red Japanese Maple last month.)

Ok, one more set…

IMG_3703

IMG_7536

Boom!

We watered throughout last summer (June-September) and then let Mother Nature do her thing. (One of the perks of living in the PNW, for sure.) Kyle’s done a little weeding, but nothing that required too much effort.

IMG_7497

IMG_7509

IMG_7527

The ground cover is really starting to fill in between the pavers!

IMG_7490

IMG_7515

IMG_7487

I was skeptical that we’d be able to do much with the narrow strip of dirt between the driveway and north side of the house. But, hello Lenten Rose and Sorrel. You look pretty amazing. Mark, our landscape architect, designed the plantings so that different things would be in bloom at different times. The roses bloomed a month or two ago and it was such a pleasant surprise since it was still rather wintry out.

IMG_7491

IMG_7461

The gas meter and bollard (so we don’t drive into it?) are slowly being shrouded in plant life. Yeeeessss.

IMG_7499

IMG_7517

Blue Star Creepin’.

IMG_7472

IMG_7481

One of my favorite areas is actually the south side yard. It’s turning into a lush little forest and I love it.

IMG_7470

IMG_7478

IMG_7477

We’re really happy with the work that our friend Mark Garff (The Watershed Company) and JP Landscape Services did in the front yard and can’t wait for the big backyard transformation. I’ve been having visions of Adirondack chairs and a pitcher of Sangria. Come summer, come!

Comments

10 Responses to “front yard landscaping: one year later”

1. Rebekah says:

That bollard might seem a little overkill, but when we lived in Greenwood, a drunk driver ran their car into our neighbor’s house going 25-35 mph. Luckily they didn’t have the gas line, but the impact of him hitting the house woke me out of a sound sleep.

Yikes, that is scary! Originally we had them locate the meter in the side yard but then they had to install the bollard IN THE DRIVEWAY. Fortunately, our neighbor was home and quickly called to let us know what was happening. Needless to say, the meter was put on the front of the house instead (and that’s why we have a concrete patch in our driveway!).

2. kara says:

Your whole house is gorgeous. And I love how the yard has filled in. Beautiful.

3. What a great update! That company did such an amazing job. Everything looks so perfect. I’m a little jealous 🙂

4. Paul says:

Looks great! It should only get better as time goes by.

5. Ron says:

Everything looks lovely.

And by the way, thanks for continuing with the updates. I am sure that your lives are more than full and a bit crazy with everything going on, but I look forward to seeing what you are doing and how things are going.

6. Shauna says:

Inspirational! Gives the whole house a really chic look. I think you’ve persuaded me that red-leafed Japanese maple is a good option in front of a grey house. Thanks for the before/after shots!

7. Nancy S says:

WOW!
    Gorgeous, just gorgeous. Looks maintenance free too – talk about icing on the cake!

8. Jess says:

Wow! Love the before and after photos. It looked great when you installed everything, and it’s interesting to seem how much the plants have blossomed. Looks wonderful now!

9. bridget b. says:

I am in LOVE with your yard! I’ve been googling in vain to find landscaping that looks good with a modern home exterior and I’m finding so much inspiration here. The difference from one year to the next is amazing.