office space

Over the last few weeks, when friends and family have asked us how we’re doing I usually say, “we’re busy, but it’s a good busy”. And it’s true – each day starts early and ends late (and sometimes there’s a middle of the night shift), but it feels good.

And we’re making progress. Like ordering business cards! We went with a simple and clean design (thank you Anna!) and had them printed through Moo after hearing good reviews on Door Sixteen. Really, I was impressed with the whole process. Their website is well-designed and easy to navigate, the ordering process was straight-forward (we went with regular business cards printed on recycled paper) and we received them days before their estimated delivery date. (And gah, I’m such a sucker for clever packaging!) Since Anna’s blog referred me to Moo, I was able to save an extra 10% off my order and Anna gets $7.50 credited to her account. (If you want to get 10% off using my Refer a Friend link, here ya go.)

We’ve also been ordering various reference books and office supplies. (I love ReBinder products from Seattle company Guided Products, who offer more sustainable alternatives to vinyl.)

As far as office space, well…that’s still a work in progress. Although I was originally going to work in the loft, we’ve decided that one of the keys to effectively working from home will be for us each to have our own spaces. For now, I’ll be splitting my time between working and taking care of Avery, so it makes sense for me to have a more accessible office space. Even though we had plans to move the TV down to the basement and make that a guest/den area, we’re now thinking it will be a guest/office/play room. We’ll leave the sofa bed where it’s at, but add a work surface along the wall where the TV will eventually go. (Ooh! Do I smell a trip to IKEA? I think so. I haven’t been since Avery was born. WITHDRAWAL.)

Anyhow. The loft is currently an explosion of architecture, but we’ll be getting that space (and the basement room) in order over the next several weeks. (So y’know, it will look like a better organized explosion of architecture.) Now that we are a company of two, we’re also working through the logistics of computers, software, file sharing and data backup. Living in Seattle, we’re fortunate to have several techie friends to help us navigate those options.

We’re still adjusting to this new work-life balance, but so far, so good.

Comments

15 Responses to “office space”

1. LauraC says:

IKEA is SO kid-friendly. You probably know that already, but I’ve taken each of my children when they were teeny-tiny, month old babies. Comfortable nursing room, check! Not much else you need!

I believe it! I actually never noticed a nursing room…oh the things you don’t see until you have a baby! (Also, curb cuts and ramps!)

• LauraC says:

It’s right by the cafeteria, by the bathrooms. And ditto on the curb cuts, oh my, I never thought they were important before, but so appreciated with strollers!

2. Matt says:

Great photo of your office helper! She’ll be drafting soon.

3. Gavin says:

Drafting brush! Now that’s a throw back! I didn’t see the Leroy Set anywhere?

4. I have to admit that I had to google “leroy set” pretty cool

• Gavin says:

I am not that old.. only used one once, the first job I had.. the only hand drafting I did outside of first year.

That drafting brush just reminded me of nearly every depiction of an architect I see on movies or in television. Parallel rules, boards, brushes, electric erasers.. actual blueprints.. haven’t seen an erasing shield yet though. Definitely no Leroys though.

5. jeannette says:

oh! put that baby to WERK!

6. Brian T says:

I’m definitely interested in a follow-up after you settle on your “tech” setup. I’m in a similar boat eyeing a working setup at home, and it seems like the standard configuration of Autocad on a Windows PC with local storage is being shaken up in many ways — Autocad on Macs, other drafting software options, BIM software becoming more common, cloud storage & backup options, and tablets & mobile apps have all become interesting and exciting possibilities, though overkill in many cases for a small home office.

7. Evans says:

I’ve found working from home a chore in the past, as I just get distracted. Like you say you have to have your own space, your own area or desk dedicated your work. It’s even worse when you have kids in the house. I agree with Laurac, Ikea are great for kids but they also have some amazing pieces ideal for most offices.

8. Frances says:

Hi Studio Zerbey,
    We were in the process of ordering cards from MOO (received some samples today–also on recycled paper, natch) and saw your mention of them–so I just used your referral link! You should have some change in your account for next time. I check in on your blog from time to time, but this is the first time I’ve commented. Congrats on the new firm!

9. Lisbeth says:

Hi Lauren, I am writing for a Danish DIY magazine (goerdetselv.dk) and I would like to get your permission to use one picture of your beautiful Ikea bathroom solution for an article about redecoration Ikea furnitures. Could you please e-mail me for further informations. Thank you in advance. BR Lisbeth