studio zerbey

Things have been quiet on the blog lately but only because I’ve been busy working on a new project! It’s a project that’s actually been several months in the making and I’m excited to finally be able share it with you…

Yup, I’m officially a small business owner.

During the last several years I’ve given a lot of thought to my career and which direction I want it to go. When we found out we were expecting, defining what that new direction would be became more pressing. Balancing motherhood with an architecture career has always been important to me (I even wrote a paper on it in college nearly 10 years ago!) and ultimately, I decided that the best solution for our family would be for me to work from home while taking care of Avery. Having a baby and starting a new business are two very big life changes and even though it is overwhelming at times, I am happy. This feels right.

Ok, let’s do this!

Chezerbey started out as a modest remodel blog but over the years it’s become a means to make connections, meet other like-minded bloggers and allow me to discover what I’m truly passionate about. Although my professional experience covers many building types, the project I’m most proud of is our house. For us, chezerbey was a tricky puzzle to solve with each piece (budget, size, schedule) adding a layer of complexity that made coming up with a successful solution all the more satisfying. While we don’t plan on starting a new remodel anytime soon (c’mon!), I’m looking forward to working with other homeowners and business owners to create their own successful solutions.

With any remodel blog, there is that one inevitable end point – finishing. While we still have plenty of small projects and a few big ones left to tackle, our remodel pace is definitely slowing down. We’ve put a lot of heart and energy into chezerbey and it’s my hope that the blog will continue to grow and evolve while retaining the type of content that brings people here in the first place. While I am still figuring out how everything will flow moving forward, one thing I’d like to do is feature Studio Zerbey projects on the blog. Our house is one example of how things can be done but there are so many other solutions out there and I’d love for this blog to become a forum to share those ideas with you. Who knows…maybe your house will be featured! In addition to upcoming projects, there are a few other partnerships in the works that I’ll be sharing in the coming months.

Guys, I’m excited.

Of course, I’m also thrilled that Anna was on board not just for the redesign of chezerbey but also for the creation of the Studio Zerbey site. It was important to me that the two sites have a strong graphic relationship while maintaining their own identities and Anna totally nailed it. Not only is it, well…pretty, but I’m a big fan of the simplicity and ease of navigation too. The emphasis is on the work itself, organized in a way that is clear and easy to understand.

So what’s in a name? Coming up with a business name is akin to naming your firstborn – you want it to be unique but easy to spell, a reflection of what your business is all about and something that can grow and evolve over time. I knew that including Zerbey would be important – there’s the connection to the blog and really, it’s just a cool name (thanks Kyle!). I considered including “architects” or “architecture” (a naming privilege I worked very hard for!) but it didn’t feel quite right. For me, Studio Zerbey just clicked. It’s a name that makes me want to pull up an Eames shell chair and sketch out some ideas, a name that could include opportunities for design outside of architecture.

So, here we go! I’ll be sharing more posts about Studio Zerbey in the weeks to come, but for now I’ll leave you to poke around the new website. I’ve been looking forward to finally making this big announcement and appreciate all the support and encouragement I’ve received to forge this new path. And really, I owe a huge thank you to Kyle. He has been incredibly supportive of this decision and my biggest advocate. I know this year will be filled with lots of firsts and I’m glad he’s on my team.

Psst – if you live in the area you might want to grab a copy of the Seattle Times this Sunday and take a gander at the Pacific NW insert. Just sayin’.

Comments

49 Responses to “studio zerbey”

1. Alan says:

This is really exciting! My wife and I are planning on building a house in Anacortes in the San Juan islands in a couple of years and had toyed around with the idea of asking you both if you could at least recommend and architect…problem solved! We are excited to follow you on your new adventure.

2. Simone says:

I love Anna!!!
    Anyhow, the best part about all of this is that I can comment all I want!!!
    Good luck with everything and have a wonderful day!!!

3. Congrats on the new phase! It’s scary but totally worth it. Plus you get to enjoy Avery, which is always a plus. Looking forward to seeing all the great stuff you’ll come up with.

4. katie says:

congrats!! this is so exciting! it has always been my goal to do something similar. the new website is great, i really like the simple format and all of the images. i never understand why some architects only put one signature image of each project, i always want to see more!

i’m a little jealous of your previous work experience! you were able to work on some really nice projects. what a great portfolio to have when you begin to market your new company.

5. Jillian says:

congrats! I too just launched my own small business, but not nearly on the same scale. and as a mom of a now 17 month old, I give you SO much credit for doing it all with a newborn!! Looking forward to seeing your new projects. congrats again!

6. ModFruGal says:

Kudos to you Lauren!!!! Cheers to an exciting new chapter…I know it will be great fun for us to” tag along” on your client projects!

7. Ron says:

Congratulations and best of luck.

8. Kit @ DIYdiva says:

So awesome! Congrats on the new adventure. Can’t wait to see some of your other work featured.

9. Tasha says:

Wow, how great! Congratulations on another new venture :). My husband and I bought a house last year in Redmond that we are very slowly starting to transform, one room at a time (you know how that is!). We replaced the roof this year, and next year is the master bathroom remodel. At some point, we want to add on to the second level (build out over the garage). Both of these projects will require an architect, and we don’t know any yet in Seattle, so I’ll definitely be looking you up! I’ve been reading your blog forever, so this was very welcome news. πŸ™‚ Congrats again!

10. Heather says:

Congratulations, Lauren! I am looking forward to reading about your adventures-mother and business woman extraordinaire! Best wishes.

11. Mariane says:

Bravo Lauren! I can’t wait to read about your adventures as a mom/designer/architect/blogger! I am myself a mom and a small business owner and know it is a lot of work, but so totally worth it because you work for you! Best wishes!

12. Kelly says:

Yay! It’s live. Looking forward to seeing your feature in the Seattle Times!! Congrats!!

13. Evie J says:

Congrats! Site looks great! Exciting times ahead. I’m in that mental planning a balance between an accounting career and motherhood stage, it’s encouraging to see you taking it on!

14. Congratulations! I agree with everything you say about starting a small business. Starting my own business is one of the best moves I have ever made- certainly my smartest career move- and I’m excited for you. Best of luck with Studio Zerbey!

15. hjc says:

What an exciting adventure! All the best to you and your newest “baby!”

16. Martha says:

Such exciting news! Congratulations! Hoping to maybe even be a client someday if we ever find a house to buy. πŸ™‚

17. Heather says:

This makes all the sense in the world. Congrats!

18. Congratulations! That’s so exciting!

19. Amanda says:

Congrats! It’s so great you’re able to do what you love and stay home with Avery.

Love Anna’s design, too!

20. Gaidig says:

How very exciting!
    I’m looking forward to seeing featured projects on the blog. One of the things that led me to following your blog is your truly excellent ability to re-imagine the space planning of your home, as well as the elegant way you have solved complex problems. I look forward to seeing those skills applied to other projects.
    Here’s wishing you the tons of success you deserve.

21. Stefanie says:

Congrats Lauren! How exciting to make the official announcement!

22. Allison Bygott says:

Congratulations! I have admired your blog and talent for a very long time. I want to wish you well on this new adventure! (as well as being a new mother!) I look forward to hearing about new news to come.

Allie

23. Congratulations Lauren! What an exciting step for you – I wish you all the best!

24. Diana Holod says:

Congratulations Lauren! I took a similar decision, registering my business when my daughter was two months old. That’s the best decision ever! You get to see your kid growing and learning new things, while still developing career-wise. I wish you all the best, it’s the coolest thing to work from home with a kid – not the easeist one of course, but extremely rewarding.

25. terreur says:

this is so exciting! your remodel and all of chezerbey has been a huge source of inspiration for our current house construction, so thank you for that. not unlike other readers, i also was planning on perhaps asking you & kyle for architects recommendation or perhaps a collaboration for our next construction. i will definitely follow closely on Studio Zerbey projects.
    i wish you the best of luck with your business & all upcoming projects!

26. JacquiBee says:

Lauren How do you think a long long long distant project would work……….. Christchurch NZ, we still got to build a replacement house……
    Congrats and BEST WISHES, may your business fly. You deserve all the success in the world. Jacqui

27. Alan Michael says:

I’m at work on Saturday doing door and hardware schedules – feeling grumpy. A quick click to old faithful Chezerbey is the motivational pick-me-up I needed. I hope to be in your position in 5 years. If I can just get through these pesky exams.

Props to you, Kyle and Anna for putting together the ultimate design powerhouse!

28. Alan, ugh, been there, brighter days ahead after you remedy yourself of the dark cloud of architectural exams!

29. Amy Stoddard says:

Congratulations, Lauren and Kyle! I’d hoped this would happen. Now I can hire you. πŸ™‚ Have you ever handled long-distance projects?

Thanks Amy! Yes, I actually have done some long-distance work. It all depends on the scope of the project really. In fact, I was planning on writing a post soon to talk about that scenario. (And definitely e-mail me if you’re interested!)

30. Congrats! Great new site and nice article today πŸ™‚

31. Zero34 says:

when you decide to move over to Revit… let me know… πŸ™‚

congratulations on the venture! (not gonna lie, i miss the sketchy outline of the house as the top bar image on the blog!)

32. That’s so great! I have no doubt you will be highly successful. Best of luck!

33. Maja says:

Congratulations- this is great news! I can’t wait to see your new projects. The new site and blog look great, too~

34. melanie c says:

congrats!! this is going to be an amazing experience for you! (i’m hoping to follow down that same path in the future!)
    do you happen know how Anna built your site? I love the simplicity of its structure!

35. mai-ling says:

Congrats on the new business.

I love being self-employed and
    get to spend a lot of time with
    the baby.

πŸ™‚

36. Nicole says:

You guys are doing awesome things. Redesigning, launching services, making humans…

1. […] I formed Studio Zerbey, we knew there was the possibility that Kyle and I might join forces at some point and well, here […]