zerbebe nursery: progress sneak peek

As planned, the big task on last weekend’s to-do list was to paint the nursery. Before writing this post I had secretly decided on the color “abyss” (Kyle didn’t have a strong preference either way), but I soon found myself rethinking every option and ultimately chose “baby black seal” instead (which seemed to be a crowd favorite).

Yeah, we love it.

I’ve tried to show it accurately in these photos, but to be honest, the color varies considerably depending on the light and can read anywhere from a dusty gray-blue to a deeply saturated black-blue. (I took these photos today, in overcast evening light.) I opted to leave the ceiling and base trim white, which I think provides a nice contrast to the dark walls and floors and fir trim (and really, I hate painting ceilings).

I didn’t really take any photos of the painting process, mainly because there’s nothing too terribly interesting about it. In general though, I did two coats using Benjamin Moore’s zero-VOC Natura paint in an eggshell finish. (We used Natura for all the walls/ceiling/trim in the living areas and loved it!) For this room, I decided to give cutting-in by hand another try, but soon realized that was a bad idea. (Seriously, is this a special talent? Is this why I can’t paint my own toenails either?) So out came the green Frog tape, which added a little bit more time, but certainly saved my sanity. I used an angle brush to cut in at the ceilings, corners and trim and then used a 9″ roller brush everywhere else. (For the second coat, I used a smaller “cigar” roller instead of the brush for a smoother finish.) Kyle and I are probably the only DIYers that really dislike painting, but we try to ease the pain by sticking with high-quality products and tools. It may cost a bit more, but after one bad experience with cheap paint and rollers it’s become a worthwhile expense.

The wardrobe is also in its final place, but the plan is to remove the doors and do a ceiling-mounted curtain track instead so it feels less like a free-standing piece of furniture.

Oh hey, we also picked up a dresser (+ changing table) off Craigslist. (Huge thanks to Amy for sending me the link!) We’re not sure if we’re 100% in love (I was hoping to find something slightly longer and a little blonder), but we’re going to let it have a trial run in the space while we scope out other options. (If we keep it, we don’t know if we’ll paint it or stick with the existing finish. The main parts are solid wood, but top is the classic wood grain p-lam so we’ve also talked about doing a new white p-lam on top, similar to what we did on the stair cabinet.)

I’m not showing you the other side of the room because it’s currently a hot mess with the TV, couch and all the stuff that was in the wardrobe piled on top. =)

We obviously still have a ways to go, but it feels good to at least have the painting part done.

In other baby news, I’ve officially entered the third trimester…less than 3 months to go!

Comments

30 Responses to “zerbebe nursery: progress sneak peek”

1. Jacqui Bennetts says:

Oh, I can’t help mentioning it and you know why (Christchurch NZ Yo!) don’t forget to attach the wardrobe to the wall. I’ve used small L brackets on the top with great sucess. 😉

Definitely! The IKEA wardrobe actually come with hardware to attach it to the wall and we’ll probably shim it a bit so it sits flush against the floor and walls.

• kzerbey says:

haha, lauren has been asking me to do this;) maybe tonight

• Jacqui Bennetts says:

Good old IKEA they think of every thing.Did you know we don’t even have IKEA in NZ some bright sparks have started an buy on behalf and shipping co. I’m going to wait till the house is started and I’m going to Melbourne Austrailia (to stay with my inlaws) and I might just fill my own container! I really miss the basics that they have. The babies room colour look fantastic. I think you can get light blocking curtains too can’t you. The wee darling will be so cosy in there.

2. Suzanne says:

I love the color! And the belly! And the dresser! I hope you guys can make that one work.

3. Kathryn says:

I really like the way its all coming together.

4. Kirk Ohly says:

Love the color and the sleekness of the nursery, not sure how long that will last. We are in the process of figuring out how to convert our office/den into a nursery and your posts have been helpful.

5. ModFruGal says:

I love it!!! The color makes the room so cozy, and I like your white lam idea for that dresser. the front of it looks fine in the photos, but I’m sure whatever you do it will be great. You’re such a cute preggo!

6. ron says:

Try this stuff out in the future:

Floetrol

Helps even good paint level better and get rid of brush and roller marks.

7. katie says:

love the color! funny that you don’t like painting – i always get really excited about painting at first, but after about an hour i’m over it. actually, that’s the way i am with most home projects…

Hahaha, I like the end product of painting but it’s just a lot of prep. It also makes me see every tiny blemish and imperfection that I wouldn’t normally pay attention to. =)

8. Heather says:

It looks so pretty. And you look great! Happy third trimester!

9. Fiona says:

I really like the dresser, although I think a white laminate top would look fab. What fan did you use? It’s one of the more attractive ceiling fans I’ve seen!

Thanks Fiona, the fan is from Modern Fan Co. It’s the Cirrus Hugger with maple blades. (We have the same one but in different sizes in our bedroom and stairwell too.)

10. ew32766 says:

Love it! Especially the dark walls. Where is the armoire from? Love how huge it is.

11. dustin says:

I’m a new fan as a result of the small cool contest and I would have voted a thousand times for your entry if I could have! This is a fantastic nursery and so well done…well the entire home is amazing. And for those who say your home is not ‘kid friendly’ I completely disagree. Raising a child in a poorly designed home is about the unfriendliest thing you can do…in my opinion.

12. katrina says:

The paint looks great! I hate painting too but the results are so worth it.

Your ideas with the changing table remind me of what Young House Love did with theirs:http://www.younghouselove.com/2010/03/nursery-progress-refinishing-a-veneer-dresser/

It’s all coming together really nicely. You must be so excited!

13. gingo says:

Lauren, you look AWESOME!!! 😀 I really like the nursery too! I’m sure Bailey + Felix love it! xxoo

14. The color looks great (and so do you!). I think a dark color in a nursery is the way to go. We did our daughter’s in a crazy dark indigo/purple and I love how cozy and dark it makes the room feel.

Me too! We’re thinking about using it in our bedroom too (since we have a horrid “white” in there now. Cheap paint = bad idea). =)

15. I LOVE how the wall color turned out. I might have to steal that color for somewhere in my house.

I’m curious to find out how your Natura paint cures up? I used it on all our baseboards several years ago and was pleased. But then I painted two rooms about a year ago and had awful results (the paint is still sticky a year later and in some spots it oozes yellow drops of goo). I still haven’t figured out what to do about it, but in the meantime, I have to clean off the small insects that get stuck to the walls. 🙁

Oh no Amy, that doesn’t sound right. We used Natura about 2 years ago for the living/dining/kitchen/loft and haven’t had any problems. I wonder if it had some kind of weird reaction with the paint/finish underneath?

16. Laura says:

Love the room! May I humbly suggest a twin bed against the wall we can’t now see. In my experience (2 growing girls) they make the best changing tables—trust me, when you’ve got an infant cover in poop (and you will), trying to keep them still and safe on a narrow surface while frantically pulling wipes is no fun. You can sit on bed and they’re lower, softer and therefore safer. One of those rubberized sheets and the mattress is safe too. They’re also great for getting dressed, playing, nursing, and snuggling. And you can store stuff underneath. Best of luck to all three of you!

17. Angela says:

I’ve read about using a bed as a changing table too for all the reasons listed by Laura above. An obvious plus is that when your baby is older you will already have a twin bed for her.

I think we would consider this but just don’t have the space unfortunately. We worked in the dresser some this weekend though and are feeling better about it. =)

18. Valerie says:

maybe paint the crib the coral pink you mentioned wanting to use in the nursery before? you could always paint over it in the future. that way you can keep the dresser as-is and won’t have the mis-match of woods?