an open letter from bailey

Hey guys, Bailey here.

I’ve been meaning to do a blog post for a while now, but these giant paws of mine make it really tough to type. Fortunately, I somehow managed to convince my small-pawed brother Felix to help me out (even though I did I push open the bathroom door and eat all of his breakfast this morning).

So here’s the deal, I’ve never really told my side of this remodel story. Sure, I may look like a young pup, but I’ve been around during this whole crazy ride…

In fact, I remember the first time they brought me over to the new house (I wasn’t even a year-old yet!). They didn’t trust me to stay in the partially fenced backyard, so they tied me up to that nasty teal gate. Let’s be honest, I probably could have dragged the whole thing down the block if I’d have thought about it. Even though the yard needed a lot of help, I was pumped about all that space for me to run around in.

For the first month or so and before we actually moved in, Mom and Dad used to bring me over to the house in the evenings. They still didn’t trust me to stay away from the walls they were painting and so out came the leash. It’s kinda embarrassing being tied up in your own home, y’know?

After we got all settled in, it was time for me to get to work. Here’s dad and me fixing the old work truck we bought from a farm dog up north.

But let’s be honest, after a while I grew tired of all the work. (What? I’m a golden!) Some nights I’d hide in the shop and hope no one missed me.

On more than one occasion, I’ve also questioned the sanity of my parents (I’m giving Dad “the look”). I suppose at some point though I realized that I would just have to trust that I wouldn’t be stuck in the house forever. And I wasn’t…Dad built a sweet stoop where we sit on nice days and drink beer.

But along with the low points, there have been some great milestones too. That basement project was no barrel of monkeys. I felt bad that Dad spent all that time digging away at the dirt in the crawl space. If I wasn’t so lazy, I could have lent my diggers.

I admit, I haven’t always had the vision that my architect parents have. Mom tried to show me what the view from the future kitchen would be like but for some reason it just wasn’t clicking.

My favorite part of this whole remodel thing is probably all of the car rides to home improvement stores. I especially love Home Depot. Not only is there usually stale popcorn on the floor, but I get all kinds of hugs and belly rubs. Lowes is ok, but I had an accident there one time and have been too ashamed to go back. You never want to be the dog that brings out the “caution wet floor” sign if you know what I mean.

I like to think that I’ve really matured as a DIY dog over the years and by the time we tackled the big interior gut job in ’10, I was ready. Mom and Dad still don’t give me a lot of responsibilities, so I’ve generally taken it upon myself to supervise.

I also supply moral support and encouragement. DIY dogs, this is very important.

And when I’ve got some downtime, I lay in piles of sawdust. What, you haven’t tried this? It’s bliss!

I’m also a fantastic source for comic relief. Hey guys…it’s just a house y’know. Lighten up! Let’s have an insulation par-tay!

And when we’ve all worked a little too hard, I let them know when it’s time to power down for the day.

I know this photo doesn’t bode well for my intelligence, but I’m actually just really respectful of boundaries.

A word of caution to you long-haired canines, remodeling can lead to extreme haircuts if you’re not careful. It felt so strange at first, but it was really quite liberating.

Last summer they took away my backyard access and I thought I was tripping in some kind of M.C. Escher drawing…

…but I soon realized that you were just building me a sweet deck to lounge on.

“Looking good guys! Oh…little to the left…there you go!”

So why this blog post and why now? As you can see, I’ve been through a lot these last 5 1/2 years and it’s time for a little Bailey pampering. But I don’t have a job or any money, so I’m relying on you guys to help me out. Here’s the deal – if my parents win this contest thing they’ve entered, I get a new yard. With real plants…that I can pee on! You’ve seen what I’ve had to work with and it isn’t pretty. Seriously, every morning I go out and smell the winter daphne because it’s the only plant in the yard. To make matters worse, this morning Mom and Dad made fun of me when I came in because I had tiny pink flowers on my back (so humiliating!).

Also, I don’t want to ruin the surprise but I think they’re turning the TV room into a bedroom for me. Last weekend they installed this weird elevated dog bed. I’m not sure how to get in and out of it just yet, but seeing as how I’ve never had my own bed I guess I don’t know what to expect.  But still, I know we’re going to need some more cash to pimp out my room. And I don’t know why, but there seems to be some kind of deadline attached to getting all this stuff done.

Felix and I have been keeping tabs on the vote count and the gap between 1st and 2nd place in our category is shrinking quickly. I’m not that good at math, but Felix says he’s worried. So that’s why I’m asking you, Bailey lovers of the world, to click over to that Cool Small contest thing and show me your support.  In return, I will send you a virtual nuzzle. And when you see pictures of me rolling around in a giant pile of fresh compost, you’ll know that you had a small part in making that dream a reality.

Love, Bailey (and Felix, cat typist extraordinaire)

Comments

29 Responses to “an open letter from bailey”

1. Adrienne B says:

When we gutted our house a few years ago, we called our black lab OSHA DOG. She would run around and check out everything systematically- all the windows in each room, each corner, the stairs… If you haven’t already, you should submit a picture of Bailey to Fine Homebuildings “worksite dogs”.

2. Britten says:

I started following your blog several years ago while living in Washington. I’ve really enjoyed seeing your progress (and trying to live vicariously through you when my own remodels progress at a snail’s pace) but I’ve never been one to vote for projects on external sites. However I couldn’t resist Bailey’s impassioned plea so I registered and voted. I hope you win.
    Best wishes,
    Atlas (Head malamute and self-appointed construction inspector)

3. casacaudill says:

I’ve already voted for you guys but I had to comment to let you know I love this post. Bailey has a real way with words. 🙂

4. Kirk Ohly says:

My cats would like to vote, (on Felix’s behalf), but their internet privileges have been revoked after they were caught watching too much Kitty Ninja. If I could vote multiple times I would, best of luck in the contest, I am hoping to see photos of fresh compost soon.

5. Dawn Moore says:

Absolutely SHAMELESS exploitation of Bailey’s charms to garner a few votes…. LOVE it! Any excuse to get Bailey pics works for me. And this is certainly not a ploy I’m above when the occasion demands a little assist. Voted.

6. Jennifer says:

Hi Bailey – I’m really glad you posted this letter today, our mom is getting ready to renovate our house so its nice to know what we’re getting ourselves in for. I hope we do as good a job of supervising as you do. We’ll tell mom to vote for you!! Marly the Mastiff and Zoe

7. HilaryAnne says:

This was adorable. Got my vote!

8. Sandra says:

I hope you guys win!! I’ve voted and am passing the word. We closed on our house in Kirkland on Monday and you guys have given me the inspiration (and the dose of reality) that I needed. Thank you for sharing your projects with us!

9. Yeah, yeah, you have my vote too.

FOR NOW.

Then it’s on like Donkey Kong.

(I love you Bailey kiss kiss kiss!!)

10. PAppel says:

Hey, tried to vote for you and when I hit the favorite button, the number did not go up by one (which I assume it should do). Also there was a comment under your entry from someone saying that he/she thought the favorite button was not working. You might want to alert AT because some of the votes for you may not be going through.

11. Heather says:

This is the best post ever. That’s a sweet boy you’ve got.

12. Kelly says:

Haha Bailey, you got my vote!

You guys are so lucky. I could never have my bulldog around when I’m doing anything, let alone a whole rennovation, he would eat everything, especially all that saw dust. One time I changed out our dining room light. One of the screws from the plate fell to the floor and he grabbed it instantly. Cue Benny Hilly music and my husband and I chasing this freaking dog all over the house. We were so lucky he did not swallow it and I was able to get it from him.

That’s exactly how Felix is, he often retrieves things from the basement (screws, bits of wire, etc.) and brings them upstairs. Doing the big remodel with him would have been a nightmare! =)

13. mikecpeck says:

Done. My golden retriever named Ampersand made me do it. Ok, not really.. I totally believe your work deserves to win. Love it.

14. koda2 says:

Ah Ha! So this is how your votes suddenly took off. Well played Bailey, well played.
    I thought the pictures of me on Ryan’s bed would clinch it. Amazing job guys.
    P.S. if you’re ever in Long Island I know some great fire hydrants we can mark or beaches we can run down.

Your K-9 pal,
    Koda

15. koda2 says:

AH HA!
    so this is how your votes suddenly took off. I thought the picture of me on Ryan’s bed would cinch it for him. Well played Bailey, well played. Amazing job guys.
    P.S. If you’re ever in Long Island I know some great fire hydrants to mark and beautiful beaches to run down.

Your K-9 pal,
    Koda

16. bentley1530 says:

Is it wrong that I feel a little sorry for Bailey knowing he has a rude awakening coming? And would it have killed him to include one picture of his faithful typist? My vote was in days ago so now I can just send positive thoughts for a strong showing as you head to the finals. Good Luck!

Haha, we think Bailey is not going to leave the baby’s side. He’s good around other kids/babies so we’ll see!

17. Lorraine says:

Can I only vote once? Dang it!

18. Angela says:

I voted. I’m a sucker for a dog who writes his own blog. I love Bailey’s haircut. Why not do it more often and cut down on your dog hair clean up? I don’t have a dog so I’m guessing it’s expensive.

Thanks Angela, I think people who live in warmer clients do shave down their goldens in the summer but it just doesn’t get hot enough here. Even though he sheds, I do like the longer hair. It’s probably a bit more to shave him down then groom him so I don’t think it would save us much money.

19. Jacqui says:

Ahh read the post too late to vote! I just loved the post from Bailey’s point of view 🙂 He’s such a cutie.