zerbebe nursery: two directions

Ok, so we already showed you what we have in mind for the basic nursery layout, but over the last several months I’ve been thinking more and more about specifics like colors, patterns and furniture. Pregnancy can be pretty overwhelming (so much to learn! so many decisions to make!), but the nursery – well, this is something I know how to do. Although we don’t have a lot of baby experience (most of our friends don’t have kids yet), I feel like I’ve read enough blogs and heard enough advice to be able to form my own opinions about what the nursery should be and what makes the most sense for our lifestyle. Now, I’ll be the first to admit that the nursery is mostly for us (or me…as Kyle has stated he only cares about the little munchkin we put in the nursery…that, and a comfy chair). I know the baby isn’t going to care about a particular theme or color palette (we still have a few more years before I get to put the kibosh on her Disney Princess desires), but I do believe that putting together the space helps new parents feel more prepared and well, let’s be honest…it’s fun.

Just like the other rooms in our house, we have the same basic objectives for the nursery: we want it to be functional and reflective of who we are and what we like. We want to invest in smart pieces that are versatile and will last for many years while also getting creative where we can. We don’t want to spend a lot of money, but we also don’t want to buy things that will quickly fall apart.

With those thoughts in mind, we’ve come up with two design directions for our baby girl’s room. They are both based on a collection of images, products and ideas that have been swimming around my head, but they are not a shopping list. Unfortunately, many items are just too expensive (imagine that?), but in our experience it’s best to start with what you want and then employ some creative problem solving skills to achieve a more affordable version.

A general note about color: regardless of the gender, I’ve always imagined the nursery with dark blue-gray walls with layers of gray and yellow. A few weeks ago (right after we found out that we’re having a girl), ModFruGal, Morgan and I were having a little back-and-forth on Twitter about nursery implications and how I could pull off a girl’s room that’s not too girly. Morgan made the below comment about colors. I wasn’t expecting it to, but her words really stuck with me and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that this lady is obviously a genius.

Although I love yellow and gray as much as the next person, I knew the nursery would need something else, something more. I kept churning this palette around in my head and this weekend I finally spent some quality time with Photoshop to see how it could all come together. I don’t know if I’m bold enough to go with hot pink, but Kyle and I have talked about a particular coral/pink color that we both like (seen in this quilt that my mom made for me last year)…and an inky blue-gray could mesh well with the other colors and pick up on the subtle dark navy thread in the chevron rug. It’s a palette that’s feminine and sweet without screaming “BABIES” and will work with the rest of our house (keeping in mind that the nursery will be quite visible).

So anyway, DESIGN TIME! Oh, one more thing first – I would like to note that I’m intentionally not choosing a theme. I want our little girl’s room to grow with her, so I’m focusing instead on creating a room that is modern, cozy and feminine.

Scheme 1: (In both schemes, we’ll be using the West Elm chevron rug and IKEA PAX wardrobe that we already own. I’m also showing the Artemide Tolomeo floor lamp, but we’ll likely go with something smaller and oh…not $1K.) During a trip to IKEA a few months ago, I was excited to see the new SUNDVIK crib in gray-brown. At $119, it made me feel less sad about the price tag on the Oeuf cribs. In my head, I’d been imagining incorporating some gray hues with our dark brown cork floors and this seemed like the perfect solution to help tie everything together. The Ryder Rocking Chair is from West Elm and although it’s not inexpensive ($599) I was immediately smitten with the design (it’s comfy too!). Like many new parents, our goal is to find a dresser that can double as a changing table. Ideally I’d like to find something vintage (see Scheme 2) but as a backup the IKEA Hemnes seems like an affordable alternative (unlike many of their pieces, it’s mostly made from solid wood and we could easily swap out the knobs for something else). The birch plywood bench/cubbies is from Offi, but at $500-$600 this is something that we’ll DIY (we’d also like to do a floating shelf or two from the same cabinet-grade plywood above the dresser). As we mentioned in our last nursery post, we plan on installing a ceiling-mounted (i.e. secure) curtain in lieu of cabinet doors on the wardrobe. I’ve been drooling over the Coqo pattern from Anthropologie (available in rugs too) for a while now and could definitely see it as a way to add a punch of color and pattern in the nursery. (I also like that they’re feminine, but in a timeless way.) The gray pouf is from CB2 and the mobile is from Petit Collage.

Now, a quick reminder that this is just one direction and of course does not include the various accessories or other small items that we’ll likely add. We actually plan on incorporating some pink into the room (that’s what the coral-colored band on the left represents), but in small and subtle ways. We also realize that baby stuff is colorful, so we don’t need a lot of brightly colored furniture or textiles to compete. Also, by choosing timeless pieces we can reuse them for any future zerbebes. Finally, I started this palette out with my beloved inky blue-gray wall color in mind. (Even though we’ve painted every other surface in our house bright white (“super white” to be exact), I’ve always thought the nursery could go darker without feeling like a cave.) However, once I added the darker color things quickly got muddy and the grays and browns no longer seemed to work together.

Which brings us to scheme 2.

Scheme 2: I knew that part of the challenge with the first scheme was the gray-brown color of the crib and dresser. For this scheme, I found myself gravitating back towards a birch crib (by the way, are you surprised that we’re going birch instead of fir?). Oh hello, Oeuf Sparrow crib. You’ve weaseled your way back into my life. Ok, I love this crib. I love that it is well-crafted and responsibly made (minus the fact that it’s coming from Europe) and that it’s modern without being austere. I do not love that it is $730. My practical side is telling me that the IKEA Gulliver is similar and $600 cheaper, but there’s something that doesn’t quite click with me. (I do wish that the Sundvik came in birch though, that would certainly help my dilemma.) In my fantasy world I would also love to find a used Oeuf, but after months of trolling Craigslist I’m guessing that people who buy these cribs really do hold onto them or pass them on to their closest and dearest friends. On that note, I would also love to find a sturdy and clean-lined vintage dresser that is in need of some TLC (the example above is from a previously sold piece on Midcentury Modern Finds, the same people we bought our Eames fiberglass shells from). I’ve seen so many posts about people picking up versions of these for $30-$50 but I’ve been stalking Craigslist with absolutely no luck. Anyway, let’s move on to an equally depressing topic: gliders. Kyle has had an eye on the Monte Grano glider, but I have never been on board because to be quite frank, I thought it looked like something from Star Trek. But then, then…I saw the Luca. It’s not super modern, but if you’ve spent anytime researching gliders, this is pretty much the best thing out there. I love the charcoal fabric option and after seeing it in person, I was impressed that it was comfy without being oversized. (It also seems like more bang for your buck than the $600 West Elm rocker. Funny how you can rationalize an extra $400, huh?) The problem of course is that it’s expensive. Just under $1000 for the chair and another $400 or so if you want the ottoman. Although I know this chair would get some serious action and has received stellar reviews, it’s hard (ok, impossible) to justify shelling out that kind of cash for a glider. (Again, a perfect opportunity to buy a used version but they too seem to be nonexistent.) Yes, I also know that gliders/rockers are not a necessity but we really don’t have an equivalent piece of furniture that could serve as a substitute.

Sigh. Ok, let’s talk about something else. I love the yellow and white chevron shower curtain that Benita of Chez Larsson made from fabric she purchased off Etsy. It’s cheery and fun without being all rainbows and butterflies. I’ve also got an idea stewing about air plants in small glass orbs (like these from West Elm).

Finally, wall color. Yesterday I stopped by our local Benjamin Moore store and picked up a dozen or so different shades of dark blue-gray. We used BM’s “soot” on the exterior of our house and I’ve always loved how people have used it and similar shades indoors. The color above most closely resembles “abyss”, but I’m also liking “raccoon fur”, “gravel gray” and “baby black seal”. (If you’re raising an eyebrow and need convincing, check out some of the dark-walled nurseries I’ve pinned recently.)

The blue color is “lakeside cabin” and is what we used on the nursery sliding doors. We could always paint them (or even just the backside) but I’m thinking this color might work fine. The mustardy yellow and coral-pink swatches just represent how we might incorporate those colors through textiles, art, etc.

So what do you think? (You guys have been coming up with some great ideas and tweaks for our other projects, so I am open to all suggestions, especially from people who have “been there, done that”.) Right now, Kyle and I both like Scheme 2 better but of course it’s more expensive. But rather than wallow in my “champagne taste, beer budget” dilemma, I see it as a challenge to achieve the same look without breaking the bank. We have not set a specific budget number for this project (we actually never do, for us it’s easier to just do the best job we can while being financially responsible), so I don’t have a magic number in my head. The important thing is that I now have a vision and direction that I’m happy with and can spend the next few months scoping out thrift stores, online sales and the un-mined creative corners of my brain. (In fact, it’s the same strategy that I plan to use with our baby registry…a topic that is not directly design-related, but might be worth a blog post of its own.)

Finally, this weekend marks the halfway point in baby-growing! I still don’t look very pregnant yet, which I’m a little bummed about but I know that might also be a blessing in disguise. (I’m sure in a few months I’ll want to punch my 20-week self for having such thoughts.)

Seriously Bailey, must you photo-bomb every picture I take?

Comments

129 Responses to “zerbebe nursery: two directions”

1. mary says:

I love your color choices. Makes me want to do my daughter’s room over (she’s only 5 months!) I bought the Oeuf sparrow crib in birch and it was well worth the money. It’s sturdy and beautiful. I think I got it onsale via amazon for $580. I also bought the monte luca glider. Another pricey purchase that was so worth it. You will want a chair that you can sleep in. Literally. The West Elm chair looks comfy and good looking, but not sleepable. The rest of Josie’s furniture is from Ikea. Spend big on the chair and the crib and cheap out on everything else!

• tarynkay says:

Get whichever crib you want, but we have the Ikea Gulliver crib (in birch) for our 4 month old son and we love it. It is also very sturdy and beautiful in a simple way. There’s just nothing on it to break, and it’s so simple that I don’t see how it could be recalled, either, you know? I definitely see it lasting us through toddler bed stage and onto additional children, should they join us. We’ve actually (oddly) had to take it apart and put it back together a few times due to moving it around in our old house with small doorways/awkward hallway and unlike a lot of Ikea furniture, it comes apart and goes back together without causing wear and tear. I mean, allow yourself some irrationality- if you desperately want the Oeuf crib and you can afford it, go for it. But I don’t think it’s worth it in terms of sturdiness or functionality, just aesthetics.

• Linsey says:

100% Ditto what Tarynkay said. We LOVE our Gulliver. We’ll also be buying Gulliver #2 for our second baby, and using Gulliver #1 for a toddler bed. Ours also just made it through a move (dis-assembly and re-assembly) with flying colors at the beginning of March, and is still solid as can be. There is something so grounding about the crib, it really makes you feel secure.

• Linsey says:

I would like to add that I am not shy about spending stupid amounts of money on baby stuff, and honestly I’d pay $600 for another Gulliver if I had to. To us, it is just the perfect crib.

Haha, I do love the Oeuf crib, but could never buy it for full price. And since the chances of finding a used one are probably slim to none, I’m thinking IKEA is our best bet – really glad to hear that everyone loves the Gulliver so much!

2. mary says:

I just re-read your post. At the risk of sound aggressive: the glider is the most important piece in the nursery. You will want a comfortable place to feed, sing, sit, etc. I got the grano. It’s a recliner so no ottoman necessary!

3. PAppel says:

I think that you should spend the money (if you are able to) one the crib and/or glider. Those are two pieces that will be getting a lot of use. The crib can be used for future Zerbebes and the glider, well, lots of late night feedings, not to mention comforting when baby is ill as well as bedtime stories will make it worthwhile.
    I think you can economize on everything else. Just my two cents worth (as a mom of 4).

4. Shannon says:

The West Elm rocker is going to be really hard to nurse in. The sides are too high and though it’s wide, it doesn’t look wide enough to fit in with a pillow. You need either super wide or low arms. Otherwise, I love option #1! The floral print on the curtain girlys it up a little.

One thought on the oeuf crib is that you could potentially be the one craisglisting it for bucks. Or see if it converts to a toddler (less practical) or twin bed later on. That said, though I shelled out for a gorgeous Muu crib this time, my first son rarely slept in his crib as a baby (when they don’t sleep well, cosleeping becomes as much survival as lifestyle choice 😉 so his pricey crib became a very fancy cat bed.

FWIW, for the baby due in May, we went with http://www.muukids.com/product-p/muu-203b-903-26-a.htm with the vines in hazelnut also and the matching Ray dresser in white with hazelnut legs. Bedding by Olli and Lime: http://www.olliandlime.com/usa/georgerange.html. Planning something like this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S09871292/ for toy and book storage (you DEFINITELY need to plan for that – they will take over the room easily). Baby’s room is carpeted (dark gray/brown with putty colored walls) so this in lieu of a rug: http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Activity-Mats-Colorful-Playspot/dp/B003Z2YEMK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331520005&sr=8-3 which I can also use to block my knitting. Have a modern alphabet print framed for the wall and some floating shelves for knicknacks and a plant.

That’s a good point about the “resale value” factor. We’ve done that before with hard-to-find tools (like our paint shaver) and I even did it with my wedding dress!

And yes, I think one of the hard parts about selecting furniture and products is that you just don’t know what kind of baby you’ll have!

Thanks for sharing the links…that Muu crib is beautiful and I hadn’t heard of Olli and Lime! We’ll definitely have to have a good strategy for toy storage…one thought is to use the lower half of the wardrobe (especially if we end up with a larger dresser) and get the wire or plastic bins instead of regular drawers for the PAX unit.

• Tammi says:

I was thinking the same thing about the West Elm rocker, it would be pretty difficult to nurse in it (if you are nursing). Everything else looks great!

5. Brandi says:

First off – you have such a cute baby bump! I love the colour choices too, and you really can’t go wrong with either nursery scheme. I love the coqo pattern, it adds some femininity to the room, and I would put it in either scheme. Having used both a change table (with my first) and the hemnes dresser (for our second), you’ve made an excellent call in forgoing the change table! They are a waste of money, and the dresser can be used for years. And if this helps at all, we found our nursery chair at Homesense (I think it’s HomeGoods in the States) – it was inexpensive for both the chair and ottoman, and it looks modern.

You’re right Brandi, there’s a lot of mixing and matching that could happen between the two schemes. It seems like one perk with the dresser-as-changing table (other than future usability) is that you have some space next to the changing pad to store things.

• Shannon says:

Agreed! With this being my second (and carrying a little different) my belly pokes WAY out now at 31 weeks. I love going to prenatal yoga, just to see the different bellies.

6. Shannon says:

I just comment-bombed your pinterest site. For inspiration, if you haven’t been to Tottini down by REI, it’s definitely worth a visit. And they have sales all the time – I got my crib/dresser/organic mattress there during their 15% off sale, and they now have a coupon on their blog for 10% off. Great CS and the items are very cool and modern, definitely to your taste.

Oh yeah, definitely been to Tottini (especially when Velocity was next door!). I didn’t know they had sales though (I guess I assumed they wouldn’t since they’re kinda boutique-y) – thanks for the tip!

• Shannon says:

Sign up for emails, and it may be worth creating a registry (that might be why I get sale notifications).

Ah, still sad about Velocity closing. They were awesome.

7. jess s says:

I love the “sophisticated girl” direction you’re going. I’m crazy about that yellow chevron curtain, too. You can buy the same fabric on fabric.com for less $/yard (just search zigzag), because every penny counts when you’re looking at $700 cribs. Good luck!

8. Fiona says:

Lovely! I know you are a design person, but as the parent of a 4-year-old, I would not spend a lot of money on a crib. You really don’t know how the sleeping patterns will work out (mine did not sleep, period, because of acid reflux!) If you must spend money, I agree with everyone else to get one that converts to a toddler bed. (I’m sure the comments about Craigslist are true, too.)

Thanks Fiona! It seems like most of the cribs (or at least the ones I’ve looked at) do convert to a toddler bed so that’s something we’ll definitely keep in mind.

9. Fiona says:

BTW, I didn’t look pregnant until 6 months–and then I exploded. Granted, my baby was 10 pounds, so that might be why.

10. Michael says:

My girlfriend busted out her mom’s sewing machine almost two years ago (before chevrons were super hip, she’s a trendsetter) and whipped together some yellow zig zag curtains. Here’s where she got the fabric (http://www.texassusannie.com/Ziggy-Corn-Yellow-White-Slub_p_1936.html).

That’s awesome, thanks for sharing Michael. I’ve definitely considered sewing my own. Shamefully, still haven’t used my sewing machine yet…maybe when the nesting phase kicks in. =)

11. Love the color choices. It really reflects your style! I love too that you are not going too “baby” with it. I jsut saw a great nursery on Apartment Therapy (they live in Edmonds) that has a safari theme – but it was in no way over the top and really quite modern.

I was out thrifting yesterday at the St. Vinny’s in burien and they had a glider and footstool for around $80.

Can’t wait to see how this evolves!

12. Wehaf says:

I’m not a parent, but all my friends who are tell me that nursing chairs with high backs are better – that way you can lean completely back and even sleep if necessary.

Also, I love the mobile in scheme 1!

13. Helena says:

If you want to put something over the crib, Mobile, and you are hanging it there for the baby, it should be facing the child and be colourful. It takes a while for the eyesight to develop and in the beginning they only see sharp colours at that distance.
    Finding something that is colourful, facing the child AND nice looking is practically impossible in the regular babyshops soo be creative and do one yourself or search etsy.
    If you get a calm child you can probably extend your sleep for a least 10 minutes if she can have something to look at above the bed.

Doh! Such a rookie misstake with the mobile…your comment makes total sense. I can tell that “extend your sleep at least 10 minutes” is a big deal. Not sure I’m ready to think about that yet. =)

14. Gaidig says:

I love your nursery plans. As soon as I saw the dark walls with the yellow, it made me think of Leah Moss’s nursery, which I love. http://gallery.apartmenttherapy.com/photo/leah-and-rich-moss/item/328641

The use of dark walls in a nursery also makes me think of Lauren Liess’s nursery:

Also, though I am not a mother myself, I find myself picking up recommendations about childcare. At any rate, one thing that struck me as potentially very helpful was a pamphlet from WWII U.K. about haw to be prepared to take care of a baby, even on rationing. I’m trying to find which blog I follow posted it, because it made it so clear what was most important to prioritize, and I’m sure it was based on plenty of experience.

Ooh, thanks for the links! I’d be interested in that WWII pamphlet too, we’re all about being smart and reasonable and not overdoing it. =)

15. Ashleigh says:

What a nice post! I found your blog through Apt Therapy (congrats, by the way!) and wanted to comment on this post because I struggled so much with these decisions when I was pregnant with my son! We ended up getting the Luca (love it – and two years after delivery when a piece broke, they are repairing it for us though we’re well outside any warranty period) and the Gulliver crib from Ikea. The crib wasn’t my first choice, but I was committed to g an organic mattress ($400 – not cheap, but a child spends so many hours sleeping and this item was non-negotiable for us) that I felt that it was an instance where I had to save on the one in order to spend on the other. I’m now 22 weeks into my second pregnancy – our kids will be 20 months apart – and I’m so happy we didn’t spend much on the crib because now we’ll have two in cribs at the same time so there will not be a double use scenario that would have helped justify the expense. If it helps at all with your decision, ikea

• Ashleigh says:

Oops posted too soon! Ikea’s baby furniture meets European standards, which means no formaldehyde in their cribs! That gave me peace of mind, because you won’t find that with lots of US-made cribs. Anyway, sorry for the long comment – I just wanted to share that even though at the time it seemed like a sacrifice to get the inexpensive crib, I haven’t regretted it for a second since! Good luck and I look forward to following your progress on here!

I’ve heard that too re: the IKEA cribs (though one friend said that the bottom panel (that supports the mattress) might contain formaldehyde…but I haven’t confirmed it yet). I don’t mind the long comments at all, they are much appreciated!

This is great advice Ashleigh, thank you so much! I too have been looking at high-quality, non-toxic mattresses (and changing pads…not sure how important that one is).

16. Louise D says:

Dear Zerbey family,
    I like your ideas for your nursery. Your blog and home inspire me a lot for our own house we are renovating (in France).
    For the nursery of our little girl, we decided to go white and bright yellow for the walls and adding parts of navy blue and gray via furniture and accessories… We haven’t completely finished yet, but i’ll post some pictures on my own blog (in french) by the end of the week, if you want to check.
    I’m looking forward your nursery realisation

17. amybruning says:

lauren! i just sent you an email about a vintage dresser i saw on craigslist. maybe it’s the $30 deal you’ve been looking for? oh, and i vote for look 2 but with the anthro curtains and the knit pouf. 🙂 love love love this color scheme.

18. ModFruGal says:

Wheeee…It’s nursery talk time! I am partial to scheme two because it feels like a warm hug, so we must help to make the math work! Sophisticated Girl is going to be fab, fancy crib or bargain crib!

Yes! That’s exactly how I feel about scheme two, but just hadn’t been able to express it in words. =)

19. De-lurking, and unabashedly foisting my opinion on a pregnant woman…. I love option 2, minus the spendy crib. As a mom of 3 kids with wildly varying infant behavior, the only constant (besides sleep deprivation and my love for those sweet new baby times) was my love for my big, decidedly non-modern denim La-Z-Boy. It was ugly, but comfort while nursing (and impromptu napping) trumps (almost) all in the first several months. You’ll be amazed how quickly you’re ready to move your girl from a crib to a “toddler bed” both due to practicality (bending down to get your ever-growing toddler out of the crib is very, very hard on the back) and due to pressure from the mamma mafia (“oh, she’s still sleeping in a crib? My daughter has been in a big girl bed for blah blah blah months”) – oh, you think you’ll resist but….

Textiles are far more fun than cribs anyway! I was glad I spent a bit more on the crib mattress (which will be used for far longer than the crib – see http://www.designmom.com/2009/07/build-two-toddler-beds-for-75/).

Anyway, point is, save your money for the fabulous (non-ugly) napping/nursing chair and reasonably nice mattress. Do your best to avoid the purchase (or well-meaning gifts) of every baby geegaw ever made – again, they’re used for a very short period of time, and babies are beautifully simple creatures. Congratulations!

Robin, this is awesome. I know most cribs convert to toddler beds, but I never actually seem to see people using them that way so I wondered how practical it is? (And yes…Kyle could totally DIY a toddler bed down the road!)

(BTW, I’m totally with you on that last paragraph.)

20. KeLLy aNN says:

Pink totally Rocks! Our room is a deep magenta {mah~jenta is you’re from the South!} and Girl Womb Fruit is, wait for it…..a deep Pink.
    If you want Pink, I would go for the blanket, the mobile, maybe a small night light {like a plastic owl lamp}, and Voila! You can have your touches of Pink without it being overwhelming, but enough to stand out.

Good ideas! (And I’ve definitely seen some really well-done pink nurseries, I just think I have a general aversion to the color b/c with my skin tone and hair color I’ve never really worn a lot of pink.)

21. katie says:

i really like the dark color. i painted our guest room dark blue and i love it – i actually think it’s more calming than our lighter colored bedroom. so i like option 2.

does the expensive crib turn into a toddler bed too? i know nothing about these things, but i would think that having the option of using it longer might help to justify the price?

22. I love both but there is NO WAY that I would real spend money on a crib. Save your $$ and spend it on a good stroller (or start a college fund!) which you enjoy the benefits of much more and for longer. They only sleep in there and they do that the same (well or badly) no matter how much it cost. Even if you use the crib for multiple children, it’s still not worth it – at least for me. Can’t wait to see what you’ll do!!

23. erin says:

I think I am pretty much putting together the same nursery!! So many of the things on my design board are exactly the same! I really wanted both the West Elm rocker and the Monte Glider. We actually found the new Dutailier (shudder…I HATE those old style wood ones) glider line to be modern and SUPER comfortable for nursing (my babe is just about 2 weeks old now).

this is the one we ended up getting: http://www.dutailier.com/sejour/produits/?id=5&mod=182&ser=101&fi1=03&tis=16

The have a nice taupe fabric which fits nice with the whole grey/yellow theme…although ours will be more grey/orange/yellow….

Good on ya!

24. Brittany C says:

I love the color choices! I also agree with your idea of not using a theme. We bought an Eames shell rocker for our nursery, and I think it was the worst choice we made. It’s so not comfy and it’s cold to sit in. In hindsight, I wish we would have just got a comfy rocker and not worried about its looks as much. Good luck in hunting down all the perfect finds! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

25. Paul says:

I agree about the expensive crib, unless you’re planning on a seriesof babies you’ll find plenty of cribs to borrow for a year or two. What about an Eames shell chair rocker?

Thanks Paul, I’ve heard from a few people that the Eames rocker isn’t as comfortable as they would like. It was totally my first pick too, but now that we have the shell dining chairs and the LCW I’m feeling less Eames-deprived. =)

26. Congratulations! You look adorable. As a new mama myself, I can relate to the joys of planning the nursery. It’s one of the few things you actually have control over while you’re playing the watch and wait game with everything else in your life. 🙂

You are a great designer, so I know you will be happy with whatever you end up choosing. Here are a few things I learned, that may or may not be relevant to you. (We all find our own ways of doing things!)

– I bought the inexpensive, unfinished (beech?) Ikea crib, since I didn’t know if my baby would sleep in it or not. She was in a bassinet in our room for the first 5 months, but now she’s in her crib. And she’s teething and she loves to gnaw on the crib side, so I’m kind of glad I didn’t get the Dwell Studio crib that I really wanted. (The Ikea crib has actually been great.) I did end up paying $$$ for the Matteo crib linens that I love, so I guess it evens out in the end. Also, Costco sells a nice organic mattress on their website for a good price. We have it and like it.

– Re: changing tables. We never found the cool vintage dresser that we wanted, but we ended up using the crib (with mattress on the highest setting) for diaper changes for the first 6 months or so, and honestly, I wonder why everyone doesn’t do that! No worries about her falling off the changing table, and after the diaper change was done, she would lay there and kick her legs and watch her mobile for a while — and I could get a few things done.

– I did a mini makeover of our bedroom before the baby arrived, making it as comfy as possible. I was so glad I did that! We basically lived in the master bedroom for the first few months of our daughter’s life. With a bassinet by the bed, I could nap while she napped and it was so easy for night feedings. The only thing we used the nursery for was diaper changes.

– Curtains on the wardrobe are going to look really cute, but once you have a crawling, climbing baby, you might wish for doors to keep her out of the closet? (That’s my experience, anyway. 🙂

– I agree with everyone else that you want a chair you can sleep in. I think the ultimate new-baby chair would be a huge, ugly La-Z-Boy. I couldn’t find a chair that met my visual and price requirements (along with the comfort factors) so we just have a mid-century wood rocker in the nursery. And I nursed the baby in bed, or on our huge comfy couch instead. I use the rocker for quick feedings, or when we have company and I needed some privacy. Honestly, a big chair would have been nice, but I didn’t really miss it that much. It was nicer to hang out in the bedroom or the living room than to be stuck in the nursery for those endless feedings during the first few months.

Good luck and enjoy the planning! 🙂

Thanks Amy! We will probably do some type of co-sleeper for our bedroom for those first few months. I’ve actually had my eye on the Fisher-Price one that’s gotten so many great reviews. If we had a more comfortable couch in our living room I would probably give that more thought (our “comfy” couch will actually move to the basement once we make way for the nursery), especially since the two rooms are right next to each other. Decisions, decisions…

• Shannon says:

We had planned to get this until a friend loaned us her Arm’s Reach cosleeper. converts into a bench, and probably easy to replicate for wood-working people like you 🙂

Thanks Shannon, I have seen that before and often thought about DIYing a similar solution. Even though it’s not terribly modern, I think we might go with the Fisher Price rock’n’play (or whatever it’s called) which is affordable, compact and can be used as a co-sleeper. It seems to be the new must-have! I only have about 18″ or so on my side of the bed, so ideally we find something that is both compact and collapsible.

• The Fisher Price rock-n-play does look like the perfect size (and price!). I was scared away by the reviews on Amazon about severe torticollis as a result of using it. We have the same situation as you — only about 20″ on either side of the bed. Ended up getting a traditional moses basket, which worked out great. It was easy to move around as needed, and she slept well. (And for what it’s worth, baby had a perfectly round head. Wearing her often in a sling helped with that too, I think.)

Gosh, all the decisions are so overwhelming, aren’t they? I wish I had read some of the great opinions that you are getting here before I had my baby, though!

27. Holiday says:

Delurking as well to throw in 2 cents. I was into minimalism and truly wanted as little baby crap as I could get away with, it expands and a lot of it is plain old ugly. And, sure, there are some better looking more spendy choices, but really, you use it for such a short time why bother? Like the bouncy seats – get the cheapest one you find. Really, it’s out of your life in 6 months! The crib? Don’t bother with conversions, a toddler bed is not necessary, and the ones that turn into full size beds? Ugh. Get the Ikea crib so you do not feel badly about chucking it or Freecycling it when the time comes – and save the $ for getting the right bed when that time does come, something the kid will sleep in for 20 years. And, as for a glider? I refused to let an upholstered monolith like that into my house. Never missed it. I had an old wood rocker. Worked just fine, as did the couch. And what happens to it in a year when you are done nursing? Then it’s a big ‘ol chair that takes up valuable floor space. The bench is a great thing for low storage the kid can get at, and a place to sit and read into childhood. Try to put yourself 6-9 months out and think about how you will mostly just be lounging on the floor with the kiddo and playing with books and blocks. That phase lasts way longer than the glider phase. Oh, and I see you got the mobile memo above. It’s not a design element, it’s a developmental one, so it will have to be somewhat gaudy…sorry.

Oh, and after years of denial, I did end up painting my daughter’s room pink. Wild Aster by Ben Moore. Not terrible when cut with natural woods, oatmeals, and some green. Look at the Serena and Lily bedding, too, they have a coral graphic sheet that is the color you show.

Good luck, and just be wary of buying too much, you need way less than you think you do.

28. Erika says:

Gotta vote for the lazy boy too – the kicker – is that it has room for your first to sit with you while you read to the first and nurse the second. If not that, at least test any chair you want to use with one of those big circular nursing pillows. You may not end up using it but it’s really nice to have the option.

we had such a big ugly lazyboy in our kitchen! the kitchen! that was just the absolutely perfect taking care of the baby AND talking to my husband chair. Such sweet memories of that chair.

Good luck!! Such an amazing journey you are starting on!

29. Anne says:

Just wanted to weigh in about the glider decision. For my first baby I used an Eames rocker (because I just couldn’t find anything that was affordable, so figured spending the money on that would mean having a piece that’s not nursery-specific later). It worked and my daughter loved it, but there were too flaws: 1) it was cold against my skin when nursing (a blanket solved that); 2) it didn’t offer great back and neck support. For my son, I really wanted more support and I was lucky to find a used Luca glider. It was not the colour I wanted — though still neutral — but it was amazing to have found a used one. It’s very comfortable. As the baby gets bigger, the sides are a bit in the way for nursing, but I used a pillow when nursing at home, and so it wasn’t an issue. I don’t have the ottoman, and don’t really think that was a problem. I did want my feet up sometimes, but I have a small wooden stool that was already in my house and it worked just fine.

I was not a great nurser. And neither of my kids were. The whole thing was a challenge both times (so much for experience on that one!). So I found the back and neck support a big deal. Anything to make it easier and less stressful was really important to me. That said, I don’t think you need a glider. Any chair that has good neck and back support will do. It doesn’t even need to move. That’s a bonus for calming, but not all kids like it anyway. My office chair (Aeron) is great for nursing with a boomerang-shaped pillow. But I couldn’t easily push that thing around my house, so the Luca worked out well, when nursing in the office didn’t make sense.

If you need a comfy chair for any other purpose, It might be worth looking to find that instead of something nursery-specific. We still have the Luca, but intend to resell eventually. I’m convinced I’ll get what I paid for it. That said, I know my kids will enjoy storytime and gliding/rocking in the chair for a long time. It doesn’t have to be just a nursing chair, and recovering (or upholstering from the start) in something you love, means it can have a place in your daughter’s room for a long time. If you like the lines/shape, and you like the idea of cozying up in a chair for reading books with your baby then toddler then preschooler, it may just be worth the investment until you resell.

Like several others have posted, I would spend less on the crib, unless it converts to a proper twin (not a toddler bed…you can skip that step as others have said) and you like the way the bed looks when converted.

Love your schemes, by the way. Especially the black!

30. casacaudill says:

Now, I have no kids, nor do I plan on having kids, 98% of my friends & family do so feel free to take my advice with a lump of salt.

I’ve heard that for nursery chairs, you want something with a high back, and something that will support your arms in a comfortable position. I’ve also heard the ottoman is an absolute necessity.

As for your themes, I love the first one, using the furniture from the second one, if that makes sense.

If you do decide to go the Ikea Hemmes route, we purchased two dressers for our bedroom five years or so ago and they still look brand new.

31. Trish says:

I love the ideas! I knew you guys would come up with something soothing and inspiring. A room twhere you wouldn’t mind leaving the large sliders open. I can’t wait to see it progress! It’s a shame we’re on opposite coasts. I have that exact dresser in my basement. I got it as part of a set (came with a dining room credenza) and I already have a similar one in the bedroom.

Happy hunting!

32. msatt says:

I don’t know why, since I don’t feel like I’m the go-to baby person, but for the last month or so I have been overwhelmed with baby / kid room design requests. It’s nuts! I don’t know anything about kids. Or babies. Or the kinds of rooms they like.

But, I do feel like you need some big ‘ol contrast up in there. Go big! Go bold! It’s only for a little while! Babies like bright color and stuff, right? A few neon pinks or hot persimmon’s and some searing citron punches plus some deeeeep ass dark navy or even charcoal-black would be killer. The whole 30 x 60 x 10 thing – so 30% dark navy, 60% warm gentle woody warm tones and 10% color bonanza. Works like a charm.

Maybe you need ones of those crazy Eames elephant things. Also, I have two of those dressers in the bottom board…so…

BM Raccoon fur or Kendall charcoal is a good color to check out. Raccoon fur is the best! DO IT.

Maybe you bring a fresh outsider’s take to the table? I would love to see some Brick House Nursery designs.

Also, I like your ratios…that’s about what we had in mind too. Damn, first we have to finish the stupid basement though. Ugh.

What’s shipping like from California? =)

33. Hi, Lauren- I so enjoy your relating your design thinking to us invisible strangers, it feels so friendly, and stirs up the old grey matter wonderfully.
    I love the idea of using the crib for a changing table, on its highest setting. I never used a changing table as such, for our two girls. We used our bed, the crib, the sofa, even, with our neat padded diaper bag’s fold-out changing pad, any floor we wanted. I’ve cleaned homes with dedicated changing tables, and they were large homes, so this uni-tasker was a nice element. Our home is less than 1000 s.f., so we never felt the need.
    Re: Craigslist: I bet you know this, but you can set it to Fetch. You can designate numerous search terms, such as Glider, “OeufSparrow” Crib, or just Birch Crib, etc, and sign up for the RSS feeds to each, and you get updates in your emails as posts occur (on a smartphone, too). Just a thought!
    Much luck and warm wishes on your delightful projects, all!
    Patricia Nutritia W. (Pinterest name) in New Hampshire.

Yes…y’know, I did know about the Fetch thing but totally didn’t think to set it up for all of this baby stuff. Thanks for the reminder!

34. -alex says:

You are probably overwhelmed with ideas, but I would wait to buy the glider until you decide you can’t live without it. I nursed on the couch with both my kids and used a Medela nursing stool to keep my knees and lap at a comfortable height. My firstborn liked to nurse for a really long time, so it was helpful to be in the family room with the Tivo and a stack of novels. (No kindle at that time.)

For my second-born I bought a glider, but neither kid was big on it. Firstborn was jealous when I was in it with the baby and second-born couldn’t have cared less. Fortunately, I bought it used on Craigslist and sold it on Craigslist when we needed to move. Maybe you could borrow someone’s ugly one for a few months before investing in the beautiful one?

• moietytxs says:

Yes, the Medela (or another slightly angled) nursing stool is killer. I’ve actually had Ikea Poang chairs in a couple of nurseries now, but primarily I nurse in an office chair with a My Brest Friend.

Best wishes for your zerbebe!

35. Kyle Z says:

Wow, this reminds me of the saying “it takes a village to raise a child” thanks for being part of our village. Lauren and I are going to pour over all this info and do some more research. Thanks so much.

36. Todd Smith says:

I love seeing this stuff, because I’m- A. very excited for you, and B. Very Excited to see all your efforts with dings, puke, poop, skids, milk, disarray, etc: in a documentary effort to see how everything holds up and evolves over time.

nursing chair:
    forget about the “nursing” component of this chair. This is a chair, hopefully that you’ll be having for a long time, getting puke all over, A&D ointment butt cream, milk stains etc: to be easily reupholstered, and or clean-able. Also, any chair that you intend to have a baby in your arms, should hopefully be a chair that you can have a toddler, and then a little kid sit next to you while reading books. Similarly, if a chair doesn’t have a place for your head to crash and go to sleep while holding a child in any of it’s manifestations: you’ll be regretting the purchase: Kyle will too, because he’s probably going to be the one falling asleep in it more than you, Lauren.

Crib:
    Your child will be biting the laminate, or gummy applied protection you put on this piece. the 99$ ikea crib is the best thing going.

High chair:
    get something you can toss in the shower and that has no fabric to it and that is light as possible. You’re going to be moving it all over the place and cleaning under it all day, every day.

Bedroom Light:
    get something that you’ll be okay with your child destroying and or turning on and off when they find out how to climb out of the crib.

Mobile:
    It was highly suggested to us, that you don’t put anything up above a kids crib because it keeps them awake and intrigued, as opposed put to sleep. You’ll be enjoying the time that your kid, hopefully goes to sleep, not because they’re asleep, but because it affords you time to go to sleep. Entertaining a child in a bed is a bad idea, at any age. Same as with older age.

Dresser:
    either A. get the dresser that has the most expensive drawer hardware and sliders that money can buy so that the child doesn’t rip out the drawers when you’r not in there, or B. get a dresser that looks good, but doesn’t cost a lot of money, and you wouldn’t be annoyed if the kid rips out the drawers or it is easily fix able. The dresser you have in the 1st picture is what we have with different drawer pulls and in white, and it’s a good buy.

Good luck to you guys. This is some fun stuff. We’ve come to the conclusion that unless your a helicopter mom/dad, everything gets a scar or love mark from your children. Scars are things that you wish didn’t happen. Love marks are a tale of use. They’re both the same thing visibly, but philosophically, entirely different.

Todd, obviously our child will be perfectly behaved and considerate of all our material things. 😉

We’re definitely trying to strike a balance here…thanks for the input. I know you are the voice of experience in these matters. Scheme 3 was actually to just order once of those bouncy tents that fits inside the room. All issues…solved.

loved reading this and appreciate your sage advice. I very much like the idea of just having a room that we can hose down. the high chair in the shower is brilliant! I wonder how the eames lounger with ottoman would work? http://www.dwr.com/product/eames-lounge-ottoman-vicenza.do?sortby=ourPicks I could definatley take a nap in that;)

• Holiday says:

I hadn’t wanted to pile on by questioning the lamp after I had questioned the crib and glider…but Todd, whose children are way more creative in their destruction than mine, brought it up so I will agree. I was not a “babyproofer” and taught my kid from the beginning that certain things were not for her to touch. I only removed or safeguarded things where she could seriously hurt herself, otherwise I risked the damage to the vase, painting, whatever, in the name of having a kid who knew limits and not living in a sterile environment (yes, I had a toddler and a Naguchi coffee tale, Google that and you will see that I’m considered quite daring). But, my point on the lamp is that I felt that her room should be the one place where she did not need constant supervision. So,all furniture in there bolted to the wall, all cords managed, nothing to fall on her, etc. That way when you have her in there and the phone rings or you have to pee, well, you know it’s a safe place.

Baby advice to the still baby-less is crazy and overwhelming, though, so take the pieces that resonate with you and ignore the rest. We all just muddle through.

Haha, thanks Holiday. I’ve definitely figured out by now that different things work for different parents/kids. Even though we don’t have kids yet, we do have two pets that are destructive in their own ways so I think that’s helped somewhat. I think we’ll also just reuse a lamp that we already own until she’s mobile and then figure out the next step…but you’re right, we’ll consider the post-baby phase for any big purchases that we’re thinking about. =)

37. Krista says:

I really prefer everything in scheme 2 except the glider. However, I can see how it is probably a lot more practical than the better looking rocker.

38. Cate says:

Lovely colors! Isn’t it fun and exciting?

I loved the Oeuf crib, too. I wanted it so much for Baby 1, but we couldn’t justify the expense. A friend gave us their old, still very nice crib. My son slept in it once. It is now a trellis for cucumbers in the garden.

By the time Baby 2 came along, I wished we had purchased a really good double mattress for him. I’d put it on the floor and use it from the time Baby 2 is finally out of my bed (yeah, yeah, but I am lazy, love my sleep and have had two kids who need to nurse at night) until he’s out of the house.

If I had the space, I think I would make a baby room along Montessori lines. Simple, flexible and clean. http://sewliberated.typepad.com/sew_liberated/2009/04/finnians-montessori-room.html is a nice example.

39. LauraC says:

Looking forward to seeing all that you do! (I’m partial to #1’s curtains). You most definitely do not need more $0.02, so this is not advice, just my experience. ; -) When our oldest was born, we were in a temporary living space (Josh was deployed) and we did the nursery VERY cheaply (hand-me-downs, borrowed furniture). One thing I wrestled with was buying a $500 glider (oh so comfy) vs. not. Well, I chose the not, and ended up trying an $80 cheap-o. I was sure I was going to dislike it (and return it) but it ended up being very comfortable, and trust me, comfort is #1 priority for a nursing mother. Because it was so cheap, I didn’t care about spit-up, stains, etc. I thought we’d get rid of it when we were done (and now baby #2 is almost two), but I still love rocking both kids and reading stories in it, more than four years later. So you might use a glider longer than you think. Ours is not pretty or stylish, but it has held up, and one the of the best under-$100 deals we’ve ever gotten. Whatever you decide on, pricey or not, comfort trumps style when sleep deprived parents are concerned. If you can get both, great.

40. looking at your choices -and doubts- about the glider, i can only think of my thonet rocking chair, wich i used so intensely during my baby’s first year(and wich now moved to the sitting room). have you guys considered a thonet? i know it’s not modern (but can we say it’s premodern? proto modern, maybe?) but i tell you: you will hardly find anything more confortable and visualy light. plus: i don’t know about the u.s., but here in brazil it’s quite easy to find one on second hand stores.

41. kim says:

Check out this crib from Walmart. The Young House Love geniuses used it, and I just love it . I have it bookmarked for “someday”!

Thanks Kim, a few other people have recommended it too. I think we want to try and find something that’s not white and typically I try to avoid Wal-Mart (it’s a long story). It’s definitely a great price and modern design though!

42. Kate F. says:

Adore those colors–one of my favorite combos ever. We did grey walls (BM Silver Fox, which is lighter but a terrific shade in general), white and orange, and let me tell you, now that we’re expecting a girl for #2 I’m so glad I went gender-neutral!

Back when you first posted about the pregnancy, I commented about the Grano and Luca gliders, which I spent my first pregnancy obsessing over. We decided against them because my husband (who is slim and 6 feet tall, not giant) felt like they were a bit snug, and we ultimately wanted something where the baby could sit with us as a child, in addition to on me for nursing. We bypassed the glider and got the Karlstad chair and ottoman from Ikea in the white “grann” leather, with the additional neckroll. I nursed on the couch w a nursing stool. We LOVE the chair, which is super comfy, has held up beautifully for 18 month so far (still looks new despite rigorous daily use), and fits the squirming no-laps-for-stories toddler next to us with ease. I agree w the other commenters who say that rocker is cute but wouldn’t be great for cuddling OR nursing!

We actually went all-Ikea furniture-wise. Adore the Gulliver crib (ours is white), and definitely glad we didn’t spend the $$ on the higher-end ones. My husband didn’t love the slats-all-around at first, but it’s actually great for air flow and doesn’t seem prison-like in use! We got an organic mattress (Costco had something from LA Baby for $179 online, no membership needed!), rather than the Ikea one. We use the narrower Hemnes dresser as the changing table; swapped the handles for something more fun. No one ever guesses that it all came from Ikea.

Ugh, stop me. I can talk baby gear for days. I blogged all this stuff for Fit Pregnancy Mag. for 2 years, and now that that’s over I have no outlet!

P.S. I’m pretty sure a swatch of that exact yellow zigzag fabric is sitting on my dining room table right now, waiting for the ultimate decision on curtains. I’ve found several sources for major yardage vs. Etsy; email me if you want links.

• Kate F. says:

Er, after all that I saw another commenter left a link to the best price I found for the fabric. Never mind!

(And re. looking pregnant, trust, I get the wish–I didn’t really pop until 25 weeks or so with number one. It’s frustrating because you feel so different and excited but no one can tell! Number two is making up for it in spades, I look MUCH further along than you and I’m 18 weeks.)

Hmm…so I like the Karlstad idea too, but what about it not having a tall back to lean your head (sleep) against? I also recently saw an IKEA hack (can’t remember if someone posted it here or now) about converting an IKEA arm chair into a rocker/glider. Realistically, I also like the idea of a washable slip cover…

Wow, I never thought a chair would have so many implications but it’s all really interseting too. =)

(P.S. – congrats on #2!)

• Kate F. says:

That’s where the headrest comes in! It’s like a roll that slots in with a metal bar behind the back cushion. I have to be honest, the chair is probably too deep to nurse in unless you put a few pillow behind you or sit cross legged (I had to prop forward with pillows on the couch, and then rested my feet on a nursing stool), but the ergonomics of that are so personal that all this advice is probably pretty useless! In terms of actually dozing in the chair it is CRAZY comfortable, especially because it’s wide enough to curl up or sit sideways or whatever is working at that moment. Ottoman is a must. We still use that for zipping T into his sleep sack every night!

43. Sarah Martin says:

i looooove love love, the dark-walled scheme. especially with pops of coral and yellow. plus, i think birch furniture may be more versatile (color-wise) as the she grows and the room changes.

44. Hi, it’s me again, Just wanted to chime in about the high chair ( or whatever) in the shower. I’m a not so humble, long time family housekeeper, (like Alice on the Brady Bunch, without the crappy uniform) plus a Mom and Auntie. Having a shower with a hand sprayer will be something you will be thrilled to have every time you use it. Kid have a huge Mega-Poo (about a week along, but you’ll be out in public, no doubt, LOL)? remove the clothing, lay the sweetie on her huge sponge style bath bed, and spray the soiled area down. Also, if rehabbing items, like baskets, the strong spray with warm water really does the trick. That’s what I like the shower for. NOW- for that high chair- of course you’ll have a drop cloth of your own design under it, but the chair itself will be seriously gunked up. No need to use the shower, unless that gives you jollies. Make up a small to medium (quart or smaller) spray bottle with water and about 6 drops of Dr.Bronner’s concentrate. After meals, spritz the soiled sections, set a timer for about 5- 10 minutes, and come back with some raggy bar mop style towels, and give it a quick wipe down. You could use some essential oils of rosemary, or thyme or tea tree, to act as mild antibacterial, or use some vinegar, but those aren’t really necessary. The spray bottle will help with many areas you want to keep clean and just remember to spray, let it dwell, then wipe off the softened soils. Ace hardware sells a darling smaller spray bottle, with a crappy sprayer, which I toss and replace with something more sturdy, probably Hope Depot or local janitorial.
    If you have any cleaning questions, meet me on Pinterest, http://www.pinterest.com/ipat – Cheers! Pat

45. Marissa says:

Congratulations!
    You may want to look at this dresser: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Vilas-6-drawer-Tobacco-Dresser/5169749/product.html
    This is the dresser we have in our baby’s nursery- MCM inspired, solid wood, and the PERFECT height for a changing table. My only complaint is that it was kind of a pain to put together, but if you have a power tool, you’ll be set (I put it together by myself, 8 months pregnant, with only a screwdriver). I was also considering that Ikea dresser in lieu of a true vintage dresser via Craigslist. I like the Overstock option more because of the height and also because it’s sturdier.

Ooh…I hadn’t thought to check Overstock, that’s a great find! We’re still decicing if we could rock a darker dresser with birch everything else.

46. Alison says:

Hi There!

I’m a first time poster on your blog, I ran across it during the Apartment Therapy Homies Awards, and I love it!

First off, Congratulations!, both on your baby and placing in the finals over at AT.
    Second, I felt compelled to comment for handful of reasons. The biggest being that I am the hugest sucker for a grey and yellow nursery there ever was. I had my 2nd kid last summer and we put together a yellow and grey nursery for him. We really wanted to choose colors and furniture that could grow with him. Anyway, it involved a lot of design elements you are considering (and a pretty tight budget) and I thought I’d give you my two cents.

We have an Oeuf Sparrow crib (purchased in 2008) for my first son when lived in a very modern loft condo. Now it’s been passed on to my second son where we currently reside in a 100 year old house. My point being the crib looks great anywhere and is great for any gender! Not only that, the changing table add on is awesome, I know you’re thinking to put a changing area on a vintage piece, but I’ve really enjoyed having it on top of the crib. It’s so easy to pull your babe out of bed in the middle of the night to change a diaper, and it saves a lot of space. I know the sparrow crib is expensive, buy in my opinion it was SO worth it.

I also used the grey pouf from CB2 in his room too, it makes a great foot rest when you’re gliding away, plus my older son is constantly using it as a step stool. Get it! I also found a lot of less expensive poufs on etsy – it might help your budget and who knows you might find something even more awesome.

Also, I sewed chevron curtains using the same zig zag fabric as shown in your second mock-up. I added grommets to the heading instead of the shower-curtain-style Benita used. I also added black out fabric, which I highly recommend for those day time naps, plus it helps the fabric drape really nicely.

I really like Morgan’s idea of using hot pink or fuchsia as an accent, I think it would look totally adorable and modern.

-I think this is the longest comment I have ever posted, but like I said I felt inspired to post seeing so many similarities.-

If you feel like it, I have a few photos of the nursery over at my blog:

I really have enjoyed catching up on your blog, I’m currently crushing on the colors you choose for the exterior of your house.

Thanks for the inspiration!

• kyle z says:

Alison, I really dig your nursery design. that old school desk is a great idea. Very well done indeed.

• Kate F. says:

Alison, I’m about to get curtains made out of that fabric, too. The only grommets I’ve found online are the Dritz ones, which seem to be plastic? Is that what you used? Do they work ok? All the metal ones seems to require a spendy grommet setter and since I’m planning to have the dry cleaning/tailor lady do it…

• Alison says:

Kate –
        Yes, that is what I used the Dritz in pewter. Once they get up on your curtain rods you can’t even tell they are plastic. I’ve used them twice now and would highly recommend them.

Alison, thanks so much for all the tips! And I totally already had one of your nursery images on my Pinterest board!

47. Cagatay says:

Hi Lauren,

First of all , Congratulation’s! I would like to suggest you two products that we used for our little princess room. For you crib choice I would highly recommend Bloom Alma Urban Crib Frame $386 with Bloom Alma Coco Mat Mattress Natural Wheat. It’s foldable and it’s on wheels. Believe me you will use that feature a lot when she is a very little baby. Once you don’t need a crib you can fold and store in a closet.

Second product is for diaper changing station. We used our old ikea island VÄRDE with 3long drawers. I guess they don’t make it anymore but there is a new version with 4 equal drawers. They are deep enough to hold Costco Kirkland diaper bags vertically. I will send you our bedroom photo so you can see the crib in action.

Finally, if you have any questions please let us know. We would like to share our experience with you.

48. Basmati says:

Hi there !

Your color scheme made me remember of another girl room (an older one) in dark grey, hot pink and yellow. Have a look there (from the 6th picture):

49. Barbara says:

I love the color scheme #2. We used baby black seal in our downstairs bathroom and it is AWESOME. It might seem weird to use such a dark color in a small room (ie bathroom) but it really makes the white tile and art pop.

Something else you might like, based on the organize lines in your own bedroom, is the light fixture featured here: http://assets5.designsponge.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/4_kimi.jpg Pretty cool for in a corner by the rocker if there’s no room for a floor lamp.

50. New to your blog and it’s wonderful. Both nursery schemes are great and you could definately mix and match between them since they’re similar palette and vocabulary. I know I’m alone in this but I have to say that so far I’ve had no desire or need for a big glider chair (my son is 16 months). When he was tiny and nursing constantly I wanted to sit on the couch or lie in bed and now that he’s bigger I actually need to be pretty upright (or totally lying down) and not reclined to nurse. We have two eames style rockers and everyone thinks I’m nuts but it’s the perfect proportions and position to nurse in for me. I also can’t stand the look of those big gliders or feeling trapped in a reclined chair but clearly I have issues 🙂 If you are bottle feeding though maybe you guys could cozy up more in the recliner since position isn’t as key. Long comment but looking forward to seeing it all pulled together!

Thanks so much Lilly! (I also love the idea behind your blog…lots of similarities, will definitely have to bookmark!) Too bad there isn’t a glider/rocking chair rental service. Seems like so many could benefit! =) I have wondered if our Eames LCW would be comfy to nurse in – no rocking, but it really is a comfy chair!

51. Mariane says:

I love the second option, the navy blue, yellow, coral and grey would look great with small pops of turquoise, like in a beautiful ethnic blanket over a rocker. Turning the bench storage into a cushion, nursing nook could also work. I keep thinking I saw a print that is perfect with your color scheme, I saw it on The Marion house book blog, Ithink it was a princess and the pea print, very graphic and modern. (Emma at the MHB blog is also having a baby girl, she has great taste just like you, a glimpse at her blog could definitely inspire you). Good luck with the decorating and parenting, two great journeys!!!

52. Colleen says:

I’m an interior designer with a landscape architect hubby living in a new-to-us funky mid-century home and I’m 21 weeks along, so it’s been great to benefit from all this advice since we’re on the same timeline! I’m lucky that lots of friends are passsing gear down to us, including a simple white crib & stroller/ car seat set. We’re planning on an IKEA dresser as changing table (possibly Hemnes since we have one with different hardware & are happy with it). I’m skipping a rocker and using a low slung Danish chair with teak arms that has a high back, hoping it will be comfortable enough for nursing to skip that purchase. I’m on team buy cheaper crib & invest in quality chair since you’ll need to incorporate it into your house for awhile.
    I love your color palette and both curtain choices. What system are you using for hanging the curtains? I’ve used the IKEA track system that can be ceiling mounted in several spaces & it’s easy to install, cut to size, and hang panels on with hooks or clips.

We’re doing pale tan walls (HC 93, I think) with bold graphic stripes cutting at angles across 2 short walls in a corner by the crib (2003-10 million dollar red, HC 155 newburyport blue, 2035-20 cactus green and simply white, all Ben Moore) to add a pop of color that’s graphic enough to grow with the kiddo. Then storage bins, rugs, art all pull out those colors. Right now target has bins in solids and patterns in a few sizes that could work for your bench space, much better prices than other vendors. I picked up red & red&white zig zag versions for our IKEA Expedit & they fit perfectly. We’re having a girl too & I figure this is my only chance to design her room my way until she decides her own fav colors. 🙂
    Good Luck!

Thanks Colleen, not sure about the curtain track, I have looked at the IKEA one though…glad to hear you like it!

Good luck to you too…your nursery sounds awesome!

53. Hi Lauren and Kyle. I recently painted our dark wall with Benjamin Moore “Deep Space.” We love it. Not too grey. Not too blue. Thought I’d throw that into your sample batch.

54. Teresa says:

Here is a link to a different Oeuf Crib in the Seattle Area

55. Katia says:

Congratulations guys! Count me in as a happy Ikea Gulliver (birch) owner, I love that crib. I think it will be a great substitute for the Oeuf in scheme #2. Like many commenters here, I chose to spend $ on an organic mattress, since I didn’t like Ikea baby mattresses at all (too flimsy/soft).

I did not get a glider and simply used our old Ikea Poang chair for when I needed to rock the baby. It has a nice bounce that the baby liked. As to nursing, well, that happens wherever… My daughter slept in her crib in our room for 8 months (so no room for rocker), and I nursed her in bed. Same for changing table – we did not have it nor miss it; it happens wherever. Coziest place – my own bed :).

Alison above is totally right about black out fabric – you won’t be using that for curtains in front of the wardrobe, or course, but I highly recommend adding a non-transparent blind on both of your windows.

Good point Katia, I forgot to put window treatments on the material boards, but we’ll definitely have to do something with black-out fabric. I’m thinking roman shades maybe? I’m worried about doing regular curtains on all three walls.

• Katia says:

Roman shades sound nice – although I have to admit, I’ve had one in a previous house and it drove me crazy how I can never have the whole window unobstructed, since the top part is quite chunky. What about just roller shades, non-transparent? Seems you’ve got one of those already on the small window anyway.

We have off-white roller shades on both windows right now, which provide privacy (the big window faces the street) and a nice diffuse light. I’d hate to give that up (and they were expensive since our windows are all non-standard sizes!). I was thinking if we did a shade over at least we could get the best of both worlds (especially if we go super dark with the wall color).

56. Sara says:

I agree with many about not spending money on the crib. I also wanted to chime in about the rocker/glider. We opted for an Eames rocker, and I have been really happy with it. It is not terribly comfortable for nursing, but the couch or bed worked fine for that. You can rock a baby to sleep in it, or read to a toddler. You don’t have to worry about keeping the upholstery clean, and it has a small footprint. I would only opt for a really pricy glider if you want one in your house for the long haul.

57. Katia says:

Hi again Lauren,
    I thought I’d mention that you would want to check that your sliding doors close quietly 🙂 You’ve already got the best floor for tip-toeing out of the room…

Thanks Katia, good point! The doors are pretty quiet (we keep our bedroom one closed at night to keep Bailey in and Felix out!).

58. Sam says:

Just found your site- wow, lots of opinions on the nursery! We are designing ours right now, and one thing we are so thankful for is our monte luca glider! We love it, and although it was a big splurge for us, we are very pleased with it (so far). Well worth the money!

1. […] been mulling over all the amazing comments you guys left on our nursery design post last month (seriously, I think it was one of the most commented posts ever) and fine tuning my […]

2. […] Curtains – I still like the idea of doing a modern yellow fabric for the wardrobe curtains but finding the right pattern has been more challenging than I expected. […]

3. […] you where the nursery would be and a sketch of a floor plan we had in mind. In March, we posted two different nursery design directions and ultimately chose the darker scheme. Since then, there’s been a lot of talk about paint […]