downton dog

Hi. You guys are awesome – a big thank you to those that took the time to vote for us in the Homies contest over at Apartment Therapy! If you’re new here, welcome!

Although the content of our blog is mostly home-related, we like to pepper it with random posts about our pets. Bailey is our 6-year old golden retriever and Felix (aka “kiki”) is our 8-month old rescue cat. Sometimes we dress them up.

The weekend before last we had some friends over to watch the Downton Abbey season finale. Felix had been neutered a few days prior and with his “cone of shame” and medical gauze bow he was looking ever so dainty. So naturally, the logical next step was to make a matching top hat for Bailey.

Ok, so he looks more like Abraham Lincoln than Matthew Crawley, but quite dapper nonetheless. That evening, I attempted a photo shoot with the two of them. It was not very successful. The room was too dark and the boys too squeamish, but these photos make me laugh all the same.

Felix is doing just fine and is a bit more loving after 3 days in his plastic bubble. My only regret is that we didn’t pull out Bailey’s cone and have a good ol’ fashioned cone-off. Next time.

Also, don’t forget to vote! (Note: you have to scroll to the bottom of the page to login in or sign up (if you don’t already have an Apartment Therapy account) in order to vote. It’s an extra step, but one that helps keep the process more legit.) Only the top 6 nominees move onto next week’s final voting and our competitive personalities simple can’t handle defeat. I mean, look at Bailey’s pleading face…do it for him! DO IT!

P.S. – if animals dressed in period costumes isn’t your thing, stay tuned for upcoming posts on the studio loft desk and design ideas for the nursery!

Comments

17 Responses to “downton dog”

1. kurt says:

all rather dapper and edwardian! modern pets do have to endure so much more than their forebears. though i must say felix does a cracking impression of the dowager grantham!

2. Louise says:

Definitely voted ^^ I think the part I appreciate most about this blog is that you have a mobile version so I can read comfortably from my Galaxy without having to pan in/out 😀

3. Hi, Love the pictures, so cute with the hat. Have a great day!

4. Nancy says:

Thanks for posting more Bailey picts, I have missed seeing him. He reminds me so much of our previous dog, Sandy. The looks are very similar and from where he is and what he is doing in the photos has a similar personality. I have also really liked how you make design decisions with him in mind, because the hair is a factor if you have a Golden. I found your blog when I searched for kitchen renos online, and stayed to read the whole thing (in segments) because of the dog and your writing style. We are also in the midst of renovations of our house, more cosmetic than structural though and going at a turtle pace right now due to Bruce (husband) working out of town and 2 provinces over. It is amazing how many projects need more than one pair of hands and our present dog (Raefer) only lends moral support by being present and supervising everything.

Haha, we once tried to teach Bailey to turn the bedroom lights off and it was a total failure. Good thing he’s cute and sweet. =)

5. Nancy says:

Oh, and I absolutely voted for you, and got my husband, mom and daughter to as well.

6. Keren says:

I would love to see a Dowager Countess Kitty!

7. jessica says:

Hi I’ve never commented before but this post deserves a high five. I totally voted for you guys! Good luck.

8. Kelly C. says:

Love it & I love your blog – I keep meaning to watch that show – voted for y’all!

9. Bailey and Kiki rule! Voted for y’all. Hope you win.

10. Oh gosh, these photos are adorable. Well, that’s enough for my vote! I’m from Dans le Townhouse, a little blog waaaay down on the list. Keep scrolling. A little more. More. Yep, that’s me. But I wanted to wish you luck. I JUST found your blog, but love it already so I’ll be back for more.

11. AAAAHAHAHAHA!!!! Animals dressed in period costumes is totally my thing, so thank you for the Wednesday pick me up (but I am excited to read about the studio loft desk and design ideas for the nursery!)

12. Kathleen says:

Love your home project and photos of Bailey! My 7 year old golden mix lays just like Bailey: on his back and ‘chicken legs’ on his stomach!