phoenix, part one

Hellooooo there. I can’t believe Christmas is less than two weeks away! We just got our tree yesterday and I’ve barely made a dent in my shopping list. Every year I try to simplify and savor the holiday season but inevitably it sneaks up on me and then I’m rushing around with a million things to do. (First world problems, I know.)

But anyway. The last few weeks have been super busy (hence the less frequent posts) and included a short trip down to Phoenix for Reinvention 2011, a conference sponsored by Hanley Wood (who puts out Residential Architect among other publications). It was a great experience filled with inspiring speakers (Will Bruder! Rick Joy! Wendell Burnette! Jones Studio! Lake+Flato!) and good conversation with other residential architects. We packed a lot into four days and thought you guys might be interested in some of the things we saw. The first day of the conference included a bus tour of five modern homes in and around Phoenix. The climate and geography of Phoenix is nearly the polar opposite of Seattle so it was interesting to see first hand the different design challenges and materials used. Since this post is heavy on the photos, I’ll keep the text limited to the project name and architect, but feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions!

Dialogue House [Wendell Burnette Architects]

Xeros Residence [blankstudio architecture]

Cedar Street Residence [colab studio, llc]

Hill/Shepard Residence [Will Bruder + Partners, Ltd.]

Lacey Residence [Jones Studio]

We’ll be back later this week for more architectureness in “phoenix, part two”.

Comments

8 Responses to “phoenix, part one”

1. Dawn Moore says:

Ok, the green glass balcony…. BEYOND! Second only to the mailbox propped up by the web of rebar…genius. And so genius that your sophisticated eye caught it 😉

2. jeannette says:

one of those places has what reads like early gehry corrugated tin? or is it wood slats (the house with the colored plexi panels)? if metal, oh what a bad idea for the desert. ditto any lawn bigger than one of those mod tabletop wheat grass planters.

Hi Jeanette, It’s actuall just corrugated mild steel which is fine in the phoenix climate. It’s actually used quite a bit down there as it takes forever to rust through in that climate. At first I thought they were using corten steel but it turned out just to be mild steel which is about half the cost of corten.

3. Little Edie says:

Love everything Lake+Flato I’ve been in or seen.

4. Paul says:

I hope you found time to visit the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art. It’s a Will Bruder building about 10-15 years old. A nice open design, they do great shows and there’s a beautiful James Turrell Skyspace. I also thought the restroom was beautiful! Put the museum on your list for next time if you missed it. And, of course,the Phoenix Public Library is an iconic masterpiece. I can’t say I love Phoenix but there’s some great architecture there, I’d go back just to see more of the ways some imaginative people have risen to the challenge of building in that climate.

5. Katia says:

That rebar everywhere is … well, interesting! And in the same house, are those downspouts looking so awesome, coming through the wood? Love the staked cactuse… er, cacti.
    The Hill/Shepard residence is so inviting and well-lived-in – love the outdoor dining area.

6. Shannon says:

Oh how I miss buildings like this! I grew up in the Phoenix valley where Core-10 steel and rebar are at their best. Now I live out East and live in a postcard. The architecture is so different, old, and much less adventurous. Thanks for sharing and letting me take in those skies again. Ahh.

1. […] spent about 4 days down in Phoenix at the Hanley Wood Reinvention conference where we saw lots of modern homes (with so much glazing!), Taliesin West and the Will Bruder library. We also spent a lot of time in […]