deck progress: 82 is too hot

Well, we started the day with every intention to finish the deck and clean up the concrete rubble in the backyard. But today was hot, like…82 degrees. Too hot for manual labor. So we scrapped our plans and did this instead:

Gasworks Park – so many people, so many watercraft!

Bailey is one of the few brave enough to swim in Lake Union.

So the basil died. After a few months it developed these small brown pimples and then the stalks started to turn brown. After I raided the entire plant for pesto one night, it was never the same. So lemon verbena has taken its place. Fingers crossed. In other news, Bailey has still not figured out how to push the sliding doors open. Yesterday morning I heard him whimpering and found this sad sight.

Truthfully, it felt great to take a day off. We’ll finish the deck – next weekend.

Comments

10 Responses to “deck progress: 82 is too hot”

1. Brismod says:

Really? How funny! Where we live, we start to put winter clothes on when it drops below that temp in summer. Anyway, you guys deserve a break. x

2. Monica says:

What a nice weekend and I love the photos that you took. Bailey and the one through the window. Nice.

3. paige says:

Seeing as it’s been 105 all week, 82 sounds awesome.

4. jason g says:

ACCLIMATED: past participle, past tense of ac·cli·mate (Verb)

1. Become accustomed to a new climate or to new conditions.

Exactly. Now that we’ve been here 7 years, I don’t think we would survive in a warmer climate. I just want it to be 75 and sunny. Every day.

5. Kelly C. says:

I’m outside of Dallas, Texas & we are on a record for the most days over 100. Ugh, I’d love some of your weather! And, I have a fairly green thumb, but have never had good luck with the upside down contraptions. Here’s to hoping your verbana survives!

6. Andrew says:

I just stopped in to see how the progress is going and got entirely wrapped up in the blog. Thorough and beautiful information as always – and the photos are totally pro. Kudos to the both of you.

Thanks Andrew, Ironically, just yesterday someone forwarded me a video about build blog. The gist of it that I was left with is that you guys are “architects that build”. I like that. At Balance Associates Architects we’re designing a new construction house in the hilltop neighborhood; I just learned you guys might be doing a remodel project up there? I have design review with the hilltop neighbors in September! It’s the last empty lot in the neighborhood right next to a Roland Terry house.

7. That shot at the lake makes me miss Seattle- my home away from my home away from home! As usually, Bailey cracks me up. He seems like such a ham for the camera. Our pup keeps going into our office, which is under renovation. Usually, my computer cord is draping across the doorway, so he gets “stuck” in there.

1. […] July, we played outside. With temperatures in the low 80′s it was just too hot for manual […]