one year ago today

Anniversaries…blogiversaries…what about a demoversary? It’s hard to believe, but one year ago today we (along with some brave friends) tore apart our house. We were excited, motivated and most-importantly, optimistic. In our post-demo post I wrote,

“The ultimate completion date is mid-September.”

Well, obviously we didn’t meet that deadline. But the more I think about it, I think we needed to be overly optimistic. At the beginning of any project, motivation starts high and dwindles over time and we needed to sustain enough momentum to take us from bare studs to drywall. And we did. By mid-September, the space was livable but definitely not finished (hey, we still had a party!). During the last six months we installed the flooring, cabinets, doors and all the finishing touches that take forever but have a huge impact. And tonight, on this one-year demoversary, we installed the last sliding barn door.

[fist bumps all around]

Now I know everyone likes a good before and after, so here you go – from demo to (almost) done:

Our old back porch and kitchen became our new kitchen. The ceiling framing came out to make way for a new vaulted ceiling.

Our old dining room and kitchen became our living and dining room. The loft was not part of the original plan, but by the end of demo day we knew that little sliver of attic space was worth using.

The wall between the old dining room and kitchen came out to open up the space.

The old basement stair enclosure was demolished to make room for a friendlier, open stair and access to the loft.

The basement stair needed to be reconfigured and widened, which meant cutting out a portion of the floor. The basement space below served as our temporary living quarters.

Our old living room became a “flex” room – a space that could easily serve as a bedroom, office or extension of the main living space depending on our needs.

The bedroom and bathroom (already completed) were sealed off and soon became our havens from plaster dust and debris. Little did we know it would be nearly 12 months before we’d have real doors again.

We still have some things to finish, but this project is substantially complete and it feels really good to say that. We’re grateful to everyone who cheered us on during this last year. It wasn’t easy to work weeknights or eat in our makeshift basement kitchen, but your words of encouragement often gave us the boost we needed to get through a tough week or tedious task and for that we say thank you!

Comments

18 Responses to “one year ago today”

1. Monica says:

Gorgeous, right down to the door bell. Congratulations on the stellar outcome!

2. katie says:

yeah, just a little different 🙂 congrats on your demoversary!

3. ModFruGal says:

Hooray! What a year…such a great job. Silly question, where do you get the sealed zipper doors? I’m going to need those if we ever get around to the bathroom….

4. Eric says:

It’s an amazing transformation with a very clear, refined style. In particular, I am impressed by your ability to envision such a radical transformation.

One quick question: I’m sure I missed this, but did you decide not to include a sliding door for the flex room?

eric,
      we just put the sliding doors for the flex room up last night! We silicone glued the handles on last night and they should be dry today. That was the last thing to do on the main floor, still have a couple things to do in the loft though. We’ll never be fully done with chez z

5. Gaidig says:

Such as beautiful transformation. You are very inspiring, as always.

6. Congratulations! It took lots of bravery to take on this project, but I’m sure you’ve got to be excited by your results. You truly have an amazing home.

7. your home is absolutely beautiful, every detail perfection!

congrats!

8. Jessica says:

Amazing progress! Congrats, you two!
    The one thing that seems to get us through renovation-fatigue is seeing pictures of where we started. Those ‘before’ pictures are definitely helpful when we feel like we’ve stalled!

9. J&J says:

Amazing, amazing transformation. I just came over from Manhattan Nest and I’m loving what I see. I’m totally going to subscribe you to my reader. I posted today a before/after of our living room, so I know the feeling.

10. WOW. WOW. WOW. I haven’t seen your blog is probably a year or so, and just came back from the link on Houzz. And holy wow, you guys have done so much, and it’s beyond gorgeous.

So inspiring. Thank you! I’m following more closely from now on! 🙂

11. Little Edie says:

I’m crazy about your floors and have been considering the same for my home. Are you loving the cork you selected? Are they proving to work well for Bailey – toenails and golden fur included?

We love the look and feel of the cork, but it could use a few more coats of wax. Bailey has scratched the surface in places (not down to the cork, just the wax) and it’s noticeable if the light is hitting it the right way. I think a poly finish would have been more durable, but also more maintenance over the long haul.
      I think his fur would have been less noticeable with the more natural colored cork, but it doesn’t bother us too much. (The darker color is better for hiding dirt.)

12. Dana says:

Love the barn doors…I bet when you celebrated ripping out the last of the teal when you started the remodelling you never would-a-thunk you’d be bringing it back!