nubbly shag

I’ve been coveting the Coqo rug from Anthropologie for some time now (see it in this post from last June) but sadly, they no longer carry it in yellow. Crossing my fingers that it was just a temporary shortage, I waited patiently but to no avail. My eyes then strayed to this Angela Adams design, but too expensive. I also considered this fun geometric option from DwellStudio, but with so many flat surfaces in the house, we wanted something with a bit more texture.

Then, some friends of ours came across this great deal on a wool shag rug and we were overcome with textile envy! So we bought one too. (Imitation is the highest form of flattery, right?) The 5×8 rug is from Overstock and at $240 it’s about half the price we’ve seen at other stores (it also comes in 8×10 and other colors). The color isn’t exactly yellow…but it definitely has a tan to ochre feel depending on the light.  Plus, since we might do some crazy colors with the barn doors, we thought it was ok to tone back on the rug.

We’re loving the nubbly texture – it’s like a foot massage just walking on it.

Even if the coffee table does cover a large portion of it, it really does help to differentiate the “living area” from the rest of the space.

So much for trying to get Bailey to pose with the new rug. [FYI, I was warned in the Overstock reviews, but this rug does shed for the first several weeks. For better or worse, the fibers look exactly like Bailey’s fur. Awesome.]

[P.S. – in other floor covering news, the loft is getting Flor’d…more soon!]

Comments

16 Responses to “nubbly shag”

1. KeLLy Ann says:

I love textured, like REALLY textured rugs and fabrics like that.
    That’s a great rug; the color is a bonus.

2. Love this rug. I coveted one for a long time too. I was SO excited when we got one handed-down from friends who got it at the PB outlet. They got rid of it because they *thought* their daughter was pulling at it causing it to shed. Sadly, it was shedding horribly all on its own still after a year.

The last straw for us was when I had to pick fibers off of my 4-month old daughter’s eyeball. I REALLY hope yours does not shed like ours because it is beautiful and feels so nice to walk/lay on. Good Luck!

3. katie says:

i love the color, i’ve also been looking for something similar for our room. and it’s basically the color of my dog already, so that means it will also hide all of the dog fur, right??

Haha, it does hide dog hair well, but the rest of your flooring may look like you have a pack of dogs. =) We’ve only had it for about 4 days so we’ll see how long it sheds…

4. Pretty! We’ve been looking for a new living room rug -going to have to consider this option for sure.

5. Yolanda says:

Very nice! Love the juxtoposition of sleekness with the chunkiness of the rug.

BTW, speaking of flooring, how is the cork holding up. Is it Bailey proof?

Thanks Yolanda,

The cork is not Bailey proof (but we knew that going in). There are some scratches (just in the wax, not the cork) but we haven’t tried to spot repair them yet. One of the reasons we went with a wax finish is that we knew Mr. Bails would do some damage and we didn’t want to have to refinish the whole house every year as would be needed with a polyurethane finish.

6. Sammi says:

Awesome texture, I love texture too, adds another dimension to the room. And the colour works perfectly in your space. Fingers crossed the shedding doesn’t go on for too long :)

7. k. says:

i was reading reviews for a different version of the same rug on overstock – we’ve been looking for something similar without dropping too much cash & several people mentioned the fibers being rough – almost sharp feeling in the pile? didn’t know if that was an issue maybe just with that color or just something completely random.

8. Matt says:

I think that shade of yellow works really well with the color of your couch.

I love those shaggy rugs as well for the texture it brings to a room but have never had much luck with them in the past. I crossed my fingers with the last one I owned as well, but alas, it never stopped shedding and ended up being donated. The good thing was that we found ours at a thrift store as well so it didn’t hurt the wallet to give it away again.

9. Diane says:

Hello- I’ve had my eye on a rug similar to this but I was wondering how well you can vacuum it? Do the little whorls of wool lose their shape? Thanks.

Hi Diane,

I’ve found that I can vacuum the rug like anything else. I think the suction actually helps to “perk up” the whorls that may get matted down from people walking on them, etc.

10. brandon says:

Still digging the style! One month in, how’s the shedding with the rug? With two boys under four in the house, we’re hesitating on the shedding.

Hey Brandon,

The rug does shed some, but honestly, it’s hard to tell what’s wool and what’s dog fur in our house! One commenter did say that she had a similar rug and had to get rid of it when she found a stray fiber on her 1 year-old’s eye! So, the shedding is minimal enough that it doesn’t bother me from a cleaning standpoint, but I could see there be concerns with small kids. On the flip side, it seems like it would be good at hiding stains and is comfy to the touch, so good for little ones in that sense. John and Sherry at Young House Love just got the same rug so you could ask them what they think in terms of compatibility with little kids.