kitchen reveal

The kitchen is done! We started planning for this project in January, demolished the space in April and finished in (gulp) December. (The other living spaces are close to being done, but we’re holding off on taking photos until we have a few more things in place.) With the exception of drywall, we did all of the work ourselves. We are exhausted, but we are happy. And really, we’re just glad it no longer looks like this. Seriously, it was that bad – from the awkward layout to the gold-flecked laminate, it all had to go.

But enough reminiscing, it’s picture time!

For specifics on products or materials, check out the resources page.

Comments

62 Responses to “kitchen reveal”

1. ModFruGal says:

Oh, wow. Bravo. It looks phenomenal..and custom! I’m so impressed with how much you guys have accomplished..I’m raising my glass to you!

2. Robyn says:

Ah! I love it! It looks so amazing! I need to come back and visit to see it in person. : ) Good work, guys.

3. Chesney says:

Awesome.

4. Brandi says:

WOW, you did an amazing job!!

5. Elaine says:

WOW! Looks beautiful – thank you for the inspiration!

6. Melissa K says:

It really looks great! I love all the finishes you chose, as well. I’d love to see the inside of that fridge, though. I’m sure it’s deceiving, but it looks so tiny!

We could probably snap a photo of the inside…it is shallower and narrower than most fridges, but it’s also taller. It’s great for two people and since it’s not as deep as other models, you don’t “lose” things so there’s less chance something will go bad!

we also designed the fir wrap to be removable if we needed to move the pantry over and make room for a bigger fridge some day!

• Melissa K says:

Awesome. I love that we’re no longer stuck with those ugly behemoth monsters as our only refrigerator options anymore. This was obviously the perfect choice for your modern and streamlined kitchen. It fits amazingly well with all of your other choices.

7. LauraC says:

Wow! It looks amazing! Did I say it looks amazing?! But you know the best picture is Bailey peeking in the back door, don’t you?! 😉 Am I the only one who wonders what’s in your island storage? That inside it everything is as neat and perfect as the outside?! Also, am I correct in assuming the space to the right of the refrigerator is the pantry? Congrats guys, you deserve to be proud of yourselves!!!

Haha! Originally, the island was going to be an “island pantry”, but for now we’re using the storage for a variety of things. There might be some “inside the drawer” pics in a future post. =) The unit to the right of the fridge is a pull-out pantry. It’s amazing.

8. Monica says:

Um, Wow. I found you via D16 (thanks Anna). Your kitchen is gorgeous and I will just say worth year (!) of work. Love all of the details: the Bailey feeding station (brilliant), the lighting, the spice shelf that goes the cabinet and then continues on the other side, the finishes, and on and on and on.
    P.S. Bailey is too cute and I love the photo of him peeking in underneath the frosted glass door.

9. Caroline says:

wow fantastic.
    “The kitchen is done” i dream to say this words; And Bailey peeking in the door is so funny.

10. katie says:

i love all of the materials that you used, the detailing is amazing. i second the request to see the inside of the fridge 🙂 the entire layout seems very functional too, you’ll have to keep us updated on how well it works for you.

one small detail that i really like is how you did the frosting on the door. i’ve been wanting to replace our backdoor with something similar but have been struggling with how to keep the back of the house more private.

11. troy. says:

As always, very nicely done!

12. jodi says:

it looks amazing!!! job well done, for sure. i love everything about it . . . especially those built in dog bowls. very clever!

13. Emma says:

Oh I’m so happy the first thing I did today was swing by this website – now I am filled to the brim with inspiration and can go about my day with a bit more brightness than usual. It’s gorgeous!

14. Noel says:

Longtime lurker first time caller–wow, so beautiful!

15. Leslie says:

It is almost hard to believe the before and after, but your hard work is evident! Your work has really inspired me. Awesome job!

16. maya says:

boom!
    looks great!

17. Carolina says:

Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful!!! Everything!!! How about you guys design my kitchen for me??? Every detail is soooooooo beautiful and perfect. Awesome job! Congratulations! Love the pic of the shiny side of the island with Bailey outside the door.

18. Sarah says:

Gorgeous! I want to live in your kitchen. haha

19. Cary says:

Superb job, Kyle and Lauren! It’s just gorgeous. I really love the results you achieved mixing stock cabinets with custom made VG fir casework. Can’t wait to see it in person. I’m in awe of your ability to finish what you started….I bow down!

Well, in all honesty…having a blog is good motivation. You would think that the final details would be easy to do, but they definitely drag on (hello trim!).

20. hiphousegirl says:

Congratulations on a job exceptionally well done! I absolutely love it. It’s clean but also warm. And I LOVE that you built in a place for Bailey to eat. Whew!

21. co-worker sally (oh and co-csba) says:

you successfully made modernism warm and cozy; yay zerbeys!
    but i’m still going to yell “hey lauren” when i want to know your product secrets.

22. Anna @ D16 says:

My jaw? Consider it DROPPED.

Incredible job, guys. Really.

23. Alison says:

The space is fantastic! I love the skylights and the gabled ceiling — it looks light and airy, while intimate and warm at the same time. That’s a difficult combination to achieve, but you did it!

24. Yolanda says:

Mmmmmm. So warm and yet so modern!

May I ask how you finished your fir? Did you use Benite? Stain? Clear? It just radiates warmth and allows the grain to speak for itself. Did you finish the window frames, too?

You got madd skilz!

for the fir, we used one coat of Daly’s benite wood conditioner and 2-3 coats of daly’s satinthane. The window frames came pre-finished with a clear water based polyurethane, but we did the Daly’s to the window trim that meets the drywall. Thanks for the compliments!

25. Michele says:

I am without words…..WOW!

26. stunning. that’s all i can say. stunning!

27. Robin says:

OMG love! But what else would I expect from you two? The big window with the view of your backyard is great. It really opens the space. It’s hard to imagine where the old kitchen was in this beautiful space.

28. Looks incredible! Love the gray on the bottoms and all the wood. You guys did an amazing job. It screams fancy architects kitchen while still being friendly and chic. Love love love it.

29. Nora says:

Holy crap. This is the same place I visited in August?!? You guys are visionaries.

30. jan says:

fantastic!

31. nicole says:

Unreal! How you two saw the potential in those before pictures is beyond me. Vision, taste, talent, style, motivation … this place shows it all! You must want to lay down on the floor and hug your house! 🙂

32. Gingo says:

WOWWWWW!!!
    Job well done! It looks awesome!
    xxoo

33. YOU GUYS. I’m so, so behind on my google reader but HOLY HOTNESS, the kitchen is incredible. Everything turned out so nicely, and the work you’ve poured into it over the last few months is really evident in all the little details and special touches throughout the space. I’m so glad that I got to watch the evolution of this over these many months, and while I’m a sucker for all the process photos, the “after” is so incredibly satisfying and just beyond gorgeous.

Incredible, both of you. Congrats!

34. Nicole S. says:

Looks sooo good! Finessing an IKEA kitchen really is an art form! Been learning that myself as of late. Well done!

35. Fat Cat says:

Seriously! This must be the best ‘before and after’ in the history of design blogs. Your diy skills ROCK.

36. Joe Ho says:

You kitchen looks amazing. Nice work!! What an inspiration.

May I ask what is the wood door & window brand/model in your kitchen, I’m renovating my kitchen and want to see if I can afford to replace my old window.

Thanks

Hi Joe,

We used Eagle Clad windows. So they’re painted metal on the outside and wood on the inside. The doors were Simpson brand. Hope this helps. Thanks for you compliments

37. Things I particularly love about this:
    – The built in microwave and dog bowls (I think they are dog bowls) in the island
    – No traditional wall cabinets.
    – Unreal difference between the before and after images.

You must be thrilled to have your new kitchen!

38. megan says:

hello, dream kitchen.

39. Ah, I’m late to the party.

In any case, fantastic job. I especially like the mixture of finishes on the cabinets and the skylight and window. Great natural light.

I looove the placement of the spice rack and dog bowls. LOVE. THE. DOG. BOWLS.

Also, I just finished our kitchen and we, too, went with three small built-in Summit refrigeration/freezer thingies instead of the stainless monster that was there before. I totally get what you’re saying about losing pickles from 2008. So much better.

Kelly

40. Kate says:

You guys are inspirational, you’ve done such a great job on all of it! whenever do you sleep???

I bet it’s so nice to be enjoying your gorgeous kitchen!

I have a question about the plywood you used on your ceiling – it looks great, and we are looking for something to replace the 1950’s insulation board on our ceiling. Can you tell me what type of beadboard plywood you used, and does it offer any insulation or did you put insulation on top of it?

41. Nat says:

Hi, I’m such an admirer of your kitchen 🙂 I’m planning my own right now. And trying to decide between a double bowl sink and a single bowl sink. I’m leaning toward single bowl. So, I was wondering if you could tell me how big yours is and if you like it? Did you debate 2 vs. 1? What helped you make up your mind?

Thanks 🙂

Thanks Nat! I would definitely go with the single bowl! We bought a double bowl originally (with one small prep sink and a larger rinse sink) thinking the prep sink would be useful, but soon decided that we really just needed one big bowl to easily wash big pots and pans. We also don’t have a garbage disposal so the prep sink idea didn’t really make sense. Our sink is about 16″x28″x12″ deep and we love it! It’s also an undermount which is fantastic in the kitchen b/c you can easily sweep food and crumbs in w/o worrying about that gunky build-up that happens at the rim of an overmount sink. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

1. […] been just about 8 months since we finished (and revealed) our new kitchen, so we thought it was a good time to report back and let you know how we […]