kitchen sneak peek

We are not done with the kitchen yet, but we are getting close. Close enough for a few sneak peeks.

One (of the two) open shelves that flank the range hood is done and installed. Kyle made the box out of fir veneer plywood (with a fir edge band to cover the exposed plys) and we cut a piece from a leftover IKEA Abstrakt cover panel for the back face. I love the contrast of the blue-gray with our white dishes. The steel ledge you’ve seen before – it extends from the range hood all the way into the dining room where it becomes a picture rail. We used a thin strip of fir wood to cover the exposed fasteners.

I’m really pleased with how the “spice rack” project turned out. Here’s a peek because it isn’t quite finished yet.

The fir plywood cabinet wrap is up! Really, I think the world would be a better place if everything was wrapped in vertical grain fir. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who feels this way. Because our kitchen is just one element within a larger space, we wanted to do something that would provide more definition. The wood wrap helps create a cohesive composition – a cabinet of cabinets if you will.  It also solves the issue of awkward upper cabinets that don’t go all the way to the ceiling.

The fir will turn more orange over time, but the blue-gray, orange and white are really working for us. I hope we never get tired of this color palette, because it’s pretty much our whole house.

We also finished the island custom shelving. The back face of the island is covered with fir plywood, which extends out to accept the microwave/dog bowl unit. Yes, the microwave is no longer on the counter! LIFE SUCCESS! (Installing toe kicks – fail.)

The small space to the left of the microwave will feature cookbooks du jour (for now, it’s my Ina Garten collection). The remaining cookbooks go in the stair cabinet.

Dinner time! Bailey is more or less indifferent to his new set-up. Spoiled dog.

I didn’t want to bombard you with photos, so I have another post planned that is less eye candy, more process photos. Actually, it’s Poker Night and Kyle is hosting so I’ve escaped to a local coffee shop. I’m feeling very urban, and slightly self-conscious because I have the biggest laptop here (and not in a good way). I’ve got two hours of free wi-fi and a double latte – LET’S BLOG!

Comments

16 Responses to “kitchen sneak peek”

1. I really love this. You guys are incredible, and the palette and material choices are spot on.
    It makes me want to tear out my bathroom for some reason and customize some shiny abstrakt cabinets and tons of vertical grained ply.

Can’t wait to see it all finished up!

2. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH it’s looking AMAZING. Super duper nice touch on the abstrakt panel behind the open shelves, that touch of shiny is just perfect. And the fir! I never had any doubts that your big reno would turn out incredibly, but I’m pretty sure I’m still going to be totally floored by the completed photos.

Glad to see Bailey’s getting all fluffy again, even though I thought the haircut was crazy adorable (he looked like a puppy!). Please consider giving him cornrows when it grows out a little more… I’m sure he won’t mind.

3. Laura says:

It looks so great and I can’t wait to see it all finished. Your attention to detail is amazing! The fir strip to cover the fasteners on the metal ledge… the gray abstrakt back panel on the open shelving… such great solutions.

4. lena says:

what are you dishes? i love the uneven way they stack

5. Alexandra Graves says:

I was curious about the shelf that you installed… You may have posted about it before, but I wanted to see if you could give me some more details. Is it simply a store bought picture rail with a piece of fir on the back, or did you machine or bend the metal? If its machined, how difficult was it to do?

I’m trying to configure a shelf like this in our kitchen but our kitchen is U shaped and I want it to continue around the corners. Any ideas would be awesome.

Hi Alexandra, the picture rail is from West Elm. They come in a few different lengths (24″, 36″ and 48″ I think). Hmm…a corner would be tricky…I suppose you could cut two ends at a 45 degree angle and mitre them together but you’d have to have a good metal cutting blade.

6. Austin-ite says:

It just wouldn’t be a complete post for me if there wasn’t a shot of Bailey! Love the kitchen and the dog bowls are genius.

7. So I’m loving your spice bottles. I had some square ones similar to that except they were square (from Pier 1 maybe?) but the corks didn’t stay in them at all. Do yours work well?

• OMG do you think my spice bottles were SQUARE? Ha. I don’t know why I thought that fact was so important I had to put it in twice.

I’ve only been using them for a couple weeks, but so far, so good. (Seems like the circlular ones would fit better since they’re being compressed in a uniform way vs. in two directions. Wow, can’t believe I just said that.) I ordered them online from a company called Green Feet.

8. LauraC says:

Fabulous guys! Especially loving the spice racks, but then I saw a post on these -http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70139169 – somewhere and totally copied it in my kitchen and love them, so I’m a nerd.

9. Robin says:

Whoot! That spice rack is freakin’ gorgeous. I’m really digging the fir plywood everywhere. If you both love it now I don’t think you’ll be changing your opinion anytime soon. And I can’t believe how inconsiderate Bailey is!

10. Darnell says:

I like the idea. very nice…

1. […] veneer plywood are two nooks for Bailey’s stainless steel bowls. Love it!via Dog-Milk/Image: Chezerbey var addthis_product='wpp-250'; Share|var linkwithin_site_id=295378;var […]